advertisement

DAC/PRE to substitute Cambridge Audio Azur 851D

PJD

pfm Member
Hi chaps..

I have the aforementioned DAC. I'm checking it atm but sadly I think it has a fault.

I'm looking for a replacement or alternative DAC with preamplifier functionality that is considered on a par or better soundwise with the Azur without spending too much money so likely used. Preferably something with a digital output but I know that's rare so I'll work around that if needed.

I paid £300 for the Azur as an ex-demo from Richer Sounds including a new bluetooth dongle and was very happy with it's sound and versatility - with its numerous inputs and outputs it formed the hub of my hifi / audio production system.

Any suggestions welcomed !

Email them about getting it serviced. They have been very good for me in the past.

In progress. Cambridge Audio directed me to Richer Sounds so I went back to the branch I bought it from. Their repair technicians (based on symptoms - hasn't been looked at yet) said it probably needs a new main board which is just shy of £400. Not excited by that prospect as it's more than I paid for it, and I've seen them sell used for less.

I've got an independent engineer lined up to take a look at it - seems like the fault is the analogue side of things only so I'm hoping its just a component thats fallen out of spec. Tbh I'm not sure why the Richer Sounds technicians would only swap out the board rather than fixing it.

Anyway I need something in the interim, and I'd like something decent sonically.. so it may be a permanent replacement.

I really like my Benchmark DAC2 HGC - not sure what they go for second hand, but worth a look I’d say. The analog pre amp and headphone amp in it are very good too.

Reactions: PJD
Email them about getting it serviced. They have been very good for me in the past.

Good luck with that my 3 year old 851E has been back to Richers 4 times with the same fault.
I collected it again yesterday, still faulty and they
Said they cannot find what is causing the issue and want no more to do with it.

I also own a 3 year old 851C that recently also developed issues with the digital volume control

I certainly won’t touch another Cambridge Audio product.

avoid "british manufacturers"like Musical fidelity,Arcam,Cambridge audio .They are using the cheapest parts available

Thanks for the suggestions..

The Exposure XM7 could be good as I'm using an Exposure power amp which I bought off a nice person on here.. so should be some synergy..

Not sure what to do though to be honest. I was quite into having no analogue pre-amp in the chain. Having a total rethink.

I've also seen a used (serviced) Naim Uniti2 for £1100 I could sell my Exposure power amp and use that. Tempting considering the new price, but it's getting on .. is it risky?

Benchmark and RME are of interest, especially as they are audio production geared companies.

Also seen a Burson DAC / pre-amp.. absolutely no idea about that one, but looks good on paper

Also noticed a Cyrus 8 locally, which can be used as a pre-amp.. I wonder how the amp section would compare to the Exposure 2010S2 Power..

The xm7 may have better synergy as you say .cyrus 8 old now

The one i linked too has a warrenty which is always reassuring

Cyrus charge 330 for repairs

IME, an analogue preamp is important (Uniti and Linn DSM digitise all inputs).

The Exposure 2010s integrated is by far the most involving piece of hi-fi ever owned by me.

M.

advertisement

Back