advertisement

DAC paralysis

I compared to an older DC3, but Sean Jacobs has stated that he has made multiple improvements since the original was released. It wasn't a fair fight, TBH.

Also tried a recent SR4-T and SR7-T. Plixir bettered the SR4-T and traded blows with the SR7-T. Plixir was better for me as it sounded bigger and's more tonally fleshed out, but retained the attack and resolution. SR7-T sounded a bit more open up top, but this was subtle. It also sounded thinner and had a slightly smaller and less-focused soundstage. However, this is going to be system dependent at this point.

I would expect the mighty DC-4 to be better in literally every way... and likely not by small margins. As it should, for £4800 including VAT or $5400 USD.

UPDATE: the Qutest sounded radically better with both the Plixir and SR7-T.

And, like the DC-4, the Plixir Elite BDC is also doubly regulated. The Elite BDC, in addition to the double regulation, uses a toroidal transformer that is wired for balanced power (+60v/-60v here in the US), which itself assists with noise reduction.

https://www.plixirpower.com/pages/plixir-power-concept

5V DC, 2A:
https://www.plixirpower.com/products/plixir-elite-bdc-2a-4a-6a

Last edited:
I have heard the Gustard R26 in three different systems and the sound ranged from utterly superlative in every way to soft and mushy, depending on the system. It benefits tremendously from a good external clock. If I had to buy a DAC tomorrow it would be this or the A26 without a doubt.
I had the Gustard R26 for a month but returned it. I have been using the onboard dac in my Primare pre60 for a few years and preferred it to the R26.

Will be interested to hear how you get on with this.
I bought a Cambridge CXNV2 last year to use as a streamer with my Audionote 4.1 DAC. Turned out the DAC in the Cambridge was much better than I expected after some A/B comparisons. It uses the same Wolfson chips as the Rega R.

Having said that I’d still like to try a later chip set well implemented so have been researching with very similar shortlists. The latest Bryston is looking good at the moment but that could change. A26 also.

Will be interested to hear how you get on with this.
I bought a Cambridge CXNV2 last year to use as a streamer with my Audionote 4.1 DAC. Turned out the DAC in the Cambridge was much better than I expected after some A/B comparisons. It uses the same Wolfson chips as the Rega R.

Having said that I’d still like to try a later chip set well implemented so have been researching with very similar shortlists. The latest Bryston is looking good at the moment but that could change. A26 also.

Do you know which exact Wolfson chip? My Lumin A1 uses dual WM8741's in balanced mode. Tremendous performance, even today in 2023.

I went through a phase of trying DACs until I settled on an Audio Gd Dac with WM8741 chips and never looked back. I now own 4. The higher end old ones with these chips are worth exploring as an upgrade. I tried a Rega Dac and preferred these although it wasn't night and day.

The only one I preferred was the Pink Triangle DaCapo but it played up shortly after I bought it so I sent it back and decided to avoid them due to aging issues.

Denafrips are rolling out firmware upgrades across their range with, so far, a lot of positive feedback on the Ares. (Until I got the email I didn't realise there was an FPGA in there with all those resistors.) The Anniversary Pontus II on your list already has the latest firmware, so should exceed your expectations.
I'm loving the Pontus, but the more I swap gear about, the less inclined I am to recommend any single item. The importance of synergy makes almost any suggestion moot.
That said, the fact that Denafrips are not just developing new product but also providing free aftersales upgrades is great. Clever marketing, too.

The Rega DAC, Line Magnetic and Harbeth combo, depending on the material and my mood, can sound a bit too rich and colored.

I'm not famliar with Rega DACs but read that they are warm and musical. Ultimately it depends on what you want to achieve in your system. If you are seeking a more open, airier and 3-dimensional or detailed presentation without the sound turning cold, sterile or bright with glare in the treble, you may consider the costliest Chord DAC you can afford, used. Or try Pontus or Venus II. I only have experience with the Chord QBD 76 and have read good things about the Denafrips. I believe the Pontus II and Venus II are the sweet spot in the line.

Really liked the Rega DAC (non-R) which for better or worse it had a slightly muted top end IME. Better means vs many DACs striving for detail that sound too etched/bright to me (really sensitive to that). Would take the Rega over them any day. Worse is only relative but the Audio Note One DAC I had at the time and Chord DACs that followed had more open, upper sparkle and detail than the Rega but naturally so.

If you can try say a Qutest it might hit the spot.

The AN DAC was the same as this (but not the actual one) - Audio Note DAC One | pink fish media. Really lovely sound.

Haven't heard a Denafrips but can imagine liking them from the descriptions.

I asked Vinshine which Denafrips DAC should I get for my speakers. He recommended the Pontus 2 12th. On Youtube, some reviewers are using Venus 2 on systems that aren't very high end, claiming the Venus 2 is an improvement over Pontus 2.

That might vex some people, but fortunately I am in Singapore and can visit Vinshine in person and compare both DACs side by side

The most obvious difference between the 2 DACs are the Venus 2 has more treble energy and thus makes detail more obvious. It might also be smoother, but I won't pass a blind test. The Pontus 2 12th is darker sounding and seems a touch shouty on some tracks. I suspect the newer Pontus 2 12th is not fully burn in compared to the Venus 2 of the last generation, but I didn't ask. Other than that, on most of my test tracks I have a hard time telling them apart. So I would say Vinshine's recommendation is spot on.

That said, on that particular system, I prefer the tonal balance of the Venus 2. They use PureAudioProject Duet15 speakers that don't use tweeters, for my taste the system lacks a little sparkle up top. On "regular" speakers, even assuming the Pontus sound darker than the Venus, I suspect the difference won't be so obvious.

I also figured, if I really want more treble, I should go for the Gustard A26 instead of the Venus. Not to mention for a little more than the Venus, I can get both the Pontus and the Gustard A26. So I came home with the Pontus 2 12th.

People say R2R DACs sound bad without burn in, but I'm not hearing it. I thought it sounded good, at least for now. But I'll form my opinion later after a few hundred hours.

If it works for you, then it works. But your quest for a new DAC possibly states it doesnt work quite as well as you'd like. Despite many years advance, it seems the answer is not always around the corner. I'd say wait a little longer, and enjoy your favourite DAC for a while yet?

Is the OP referring to the original Rega IO DAC? I had that with the original Jupiter transport and it was indeed a warm and inviting thing and the antithesis of most modern sounding DACs. I can understand how it would be hard to move on from as there hasn’t been much like it in the last 20 years. The only other DAC that I’ve had that was cut from the same cloth was the Naim nDAC. Also on the warm and musical side but far more accomplished than the Rega. One of the best DACs I’ve owned. No longer available new but excellent second hand buys.

Is the OP referring to the original Rega IO DAC? I had that with the original Jupiter transport and it was indeed a warm and inviting thing and the antithesis of most modern sounding DACs. I can understand how it would be hard to move on from as there hasn’t been much like it in the last 20 years. The only other DAC that I’ve had that was cut from the same cloth was the Naim nDAC. Also on the warm and musical side but far more accomplished than the Rega. One of the best DACs I’ve owned. No longer available new but excellent second hand buys.

The DAC is called "Rega DAC", the original one. The latest one is called Rega DAC-R which was released soon after. I think they are exactly the same thing, but with asynchronous USB input and less filter options. Good to know about the Naim.

If it works for you, then it works. But your quest for a new DAC possibly states it doesnt work quite as well as you'd like. Despite many years advance, it seems the answer is not always around the corner. I'd say wait a little longer, and enjoy your favourite DAC for a while yet?

It might be a synergy thing, or a change of taste, but I am over with the sort of overly sweet sound with this pair of speakers. I already bought a DAC and the hunt is over for now.

advertisement

Back