advertisement

DAC for a Supernait 2

if all goes well i will have a schiit yggdrasil - pre owned with the USB gen 5 input

fingers crossed

will update this thread once i have it home

One sold recently on eBay for £880 (auction) so £1400 is definitely too much.

My bid was the “penultimate” on that one, LOL.

Having followed nDACs on fleabay for the last six months then the auctions tend to top out in the mid-900s. BiNs from dealers tend to be 1200-1300.

My bid was the “penultimate” on that one, LOL.

Having followed nDACs on fleabay for the last six months then the auctions tend to top out in the mid-900s. BiNs from dealers tend to be 1200-1300.

We might bid against each other in future as I’ve also been eyeing them, though not prepared to pay the crazy Buy it Now prices!

There's a few ndacs out in the market. I've brought home a couple dacs to compare to mine, best being DCS rossini. To my ears, they sound the same or ndac wins.

Reactions: wpm
if all goes well i will have a schiit yggdrasil - pre owned with the USB gen 5 input

fingers crossed

will update this thread once i have it home

The schiit yggdrasil was a older one with older analog board but Gen 5 USB input

New Yggdrasil USD 2399 have the analog 2 board ( retrofit cost USD 550 and that too send back the dac to USA or singapore ) and Gen 5 module pre fitted

The 5 year warranty wasnt transferable too..

The asking price was USD 1850

so i dropped the idea of this Yggdrasil though people say its a good dac.

With DAC's the obsolescence can be a very sobering thing you know... what was in vogue 2 years ago is now passe..

I hope to get a Metrum Amethyst for a home demo.

The Metrum distributor in India has a policy of paying a deposit and having the Metrum dac home for 2 weeks and i will try it.

regards

Patu

u think GBP 1400 is worth it for a 9 year old Naim DAC ?

regards

Well as for how good it is, £1400 is really not much for Naim DAC. In general they go for ridiculously low prices nowadays. But for 2010 unit, you can get one cheaper than £1400.

I'm in a process of switching from my passive ATC SCM40 to active ones but don't know what to do with my front end. Probably will finally have to part my way with the beloved Naim DAC because I'd like to cut the box count and go for a good DAC/Pre.

Oh and Naim DAC uses the legendary Burr Brown 1704 chip.

Reactions: wpm
Well as for how good it is, £1400 is really not much for Naim DAC. In general they go for ridiculously low prices nowadays. But for 2010 unit, you can get one cheaper than £1400.

I'm in a process of switching from my passive ATC SCM40 to active ones but don't know what to do with my front end. Probably will finally have to part my way with the beloved Naim DAC because I'd like to cut the box count and go for a good DAC/Pre.

Oh and Naim DAC uses the legendary Burr Brown 1704 chip.

too far away from me else i would have come over and picked up the Naim DAC :)

i am looking forward to getting the Metrum Amethyst home on Monday for a 2 week period.

I am looking at this too..

http://sparkler-audio.com/portfolio/S504_en.html

Have had 2 weeks on the Metrum Amethyst

It has a nice form factor

The sound is very clear and somewhat more detailed i think than my CD 960

My stock and cheap USB cable turned out to be a show stopper and i had a nice USB cable made for me by a friend that much improved things soundwise.

Overall its not too different sounding ( except for more clarity ) than my Philips CD960.

I hope to take a step up and have the Metrum Onyx on home demo.

I want to see what that brings to the table - maybe more intimacy and maybe more spatial cues…

I love what Metrum is doing here - allowing customers to use the DAC in their system and am grateful for it.

In the ultimate analysis - a customer will prefer to stick to what he has heard in his home rather than purchase something in a gamble just based on reviews.

I hope to get the Rega DAC R on home demo as well… ( maybe the local dealer will agree )

I have to pay a deposit but its well worth the effort and the 2 way courier charges.

regards
mpw

advertisement

Back