advertisement

dac cable question

How RCA became the standard is beyond me. Cable TV uses a form of BNC to great affect. We all know Naims preferred connections DIN and BNC which work as intended for the given situation within a Naim system.

The reasons seems obvious to me. I am only guessing, but they are cheap to make, take up little room and are easy to use.

The reasons why some things work and others don't is very complex. For me the classic is DVD-Hd and bluray. The former was slightly better, but I thought bluray would win due to a better name and the backing of Sony.....

I used to use bnc for some equipment and the connections can be easily damaged if you are using equipment in the field and they are difficult to repair due to the small coax cable. Phonos are easily replaced and the cables very cheap.

I didn't measure the plug, i measured the whole cable. Well gave it to matey boy who did.

By way of an update, I got a mark grant optical i/c. This was all part of an experiment which started with me selling my ikemi three weeks ago. I had decided on a revamp. But I still want to listen to cds . So the profit on the ikemi bought a recent NAD cdp. This sounds fine, if a little harsher than the Linn. Then the Beresford Caiman DAC arrived from Stan, with the MG i/c to the NAD to my NVA amps to the fabulous Spendor S6es, and an absolute revelation. The sound,I swear, is fuller and more detailed than the Linn and I am blown away. What a difference. Hours of great listening, and a pause before I hunt for a mac mini or equivalent for streaming.

Thanks for your help.

Al

We stopped offering Coaxial digital inputs because demand was almost non existent, but would have thought optical a better arrangement because it avoids electrical connection between two products often from different manufacturers.

Ash

I think that optical cables are theoretically better for transmitting the data, but the transducers at the sending & receiving ends may be less than perfect.
And for this reason it seems that coax is preferred.

S/PDIF is the Sony/Philips Digital Interface Format.
It can be implemented over a wire (in which case it is electical) or optical fiber.

I'm not sure what the reason is, but i have simple test, optical or electrical out of my 840c into my ibasso d10 and headphones, the difference is not hard to hear, electrical spdif over coax is just tighter and better formed.

advertisement

Back