advertisement

Cyrus repairs and servicing.

I had a bad experience with Cyrus. I got one of the original CD XTSE transports and it skipped Discs all the time. It went back to the factory and was no better afterwards but I moved country at the time and by the time I came back it was out of warranty. So I sucked it up and sent it back to the factory for upgrade to CD XTSE2. Guess what? It was no better. To add insult to injury the DAC X also then shat itself so it went back too and was upgraded to DAC X+ and that shat itself again a couple of years later. At least the PSX-R’s were ok. I was recently tempted by their phono stage for its multiple inputs but to be honest, never ever again!

I had a bad experience with Cyrus. I got one of the original CD XTSE transports and it skipped Discs all the time. It went back to the factory and was no better afterwards but I moved country at the time and by the time I came back it was out of warranty. So I sucked it up and sent it back to the factory for upgrade to CD XTSE2. Guess what? It was no better. To add insult to injury the DAC X also then shat itself so it went back too and was upgraded to DAC X+ and that shat itself again a couple of years later. At least the PSX-R’s were ok. I was recently tempted by their phono stage for its multiple inputs but to be honest, never ever again!
sadly i have heard that many many times . blooming shame because sonically they are very good [ the cd players ]

That bears an uncanny resemblance to my experience!

Ouch.

Was it just that particular CD Mech they had issues with? I see they give a 5 year warranty of PSX and Signature kit, 3 years on their other stuff.

I've read a few horror stories on forums over the years but you rarely see anyone posting positives about kit, so the view is always skewed and I take all comments with a pinch of salt.

Certainty seems well built and sounds very good defo a lift over the Quad Vena - I have a PreDac/X Power as of yesterday.

many happy owners of other cyrus kit , I had a smartpower and pre x at one point and enjoyed it many years ago . they have the advantage of being small form factor and look very neat in those hark thingies , often admired them for being good waf fact and hidden cables .

The old Cyrus Unofficial forum was littered with similar experiences too. As well reviewed and wonderful sounding the in-house ‘SE’ CD mech was, it was a real problem child.
No issues with the mech, thankfully, just lh channel crackle after many years use.

yes many years on there !! We do miss cu forum !

Pity you could not make it to the Sheffield get-together, it was a good weekend. Cyrus CD problems ruined their reputation & the amps just got more & more expensive. I had the choice of selling my Cyrus kit or my Quad kit - it was an easy decision & my Quad kit is still doing a good job! I don't know what Cyrus reputation is like these days but it was always considered sensible to let them do repairs.

A dealer told me the PSXR's are pretty bomb proof, 1 faulty PSXR out of hundreds sold over many years. They confirmed that the problems started when Cyrus 'invented' their own CD servo transport as is widely known. I suppose you could spend the money you were planning to allocate to the PSXR service on the CD? I would be in 2 minds - £300 considering the age is a big investment of both money and faith. FWIW I scrapped a £1400 MA subwoofer that was about 16 years old when it went wrong for the 2nd time. That was about £300 to fix too with carriage etc, I put the money towards a new BK @ £500 which sounds just as good to my ears.

advertisement

Back