advertisement

Cyrus DAC problem

Nye Samuel

Herr Katze
The DAC problem (Cyrus DAC X+)...bought 2nd hand on eBay from a reputable dealer....The Cyrus CDT transport was working fine yesterday when I used it with an Auralic Altair G1 as the DAC...the transport has not been dropped today....I opened the box with the DAC carefully..it was wrapped in tonnes of bubble wrap...the dealer said it was tested prior to listing...I have wired it up properly...not set up my new Auralic Aries G1 streamer yet (tomorrow)..just with the cd transport....I get no music ..just a hissing noise white noise through the speakers..with optical or coax ..I used all the inputs ..same noise...I have changed the RCA interconnects from the DAC to the Kairn ..still get the noise...no music ..I have correctly named the input I am using..the Kairn is fine ..I tried the tuner and that is fine....i changed the input on the Kairn preamp from CD to Aux...same problem....If I turn on the DAC ..no noise but when I turn on the cd transport from standby to on the noise begins ..I don't need to actually play a CD...but if I do...the noise continues and no music can be heard...but if I switch inputs on the DAC...the noise continues....if I then turn the cd transport to standby the noise continues...only if I switch the DAC to standby.

.Any suggestions?

Tried it again though no noise this time...no music...and I have tried 2 different CDs....but now I get the 'invalid audio format' message there is 'no disc' in the transport'???

Sounds like you're saying that:
tuner -> amp is fine
transport -> dac -> amp (on any input, with more than one cable pair) gives white noise.

If so then the issue must be with the transport or dac. Try a different source with the dac, or else the transport again with the Auralic Altair G1 as a dac -that would pinpoint the issue.

IIRC I had similar symptoms with a Cyrus Dac XP, similar to your unit. I sent it back for repair with Cyrus.

Sounds like you're saying that:
tuner -> amp is fine
transport -> dac -> amp (on any input, with more than one cable pair) gives white noise.

If so then the issue must be with the transport or dac. Try a different source with the dac, or else the transport again with the Auralic Altair G1 as a dac -that would pinpoint the issue.

IIRC I had similar symptoms with a Cyrus Dac XP, similar to your unit. I sent it back for repair with Cyrus.

Yes the Kairn is fine as the tuner works faultlessly....The transport worked fine yesterday...sadly I can't try it with the Altair as it was part exchanged for an Aries G1...so I only have one DAC ..the 10+)....I see what happens with the Aries G1 set up in the morning....the company that supplied it said they would take it back and give me a refund if the problem is the DAC...but is it?

Factory reset? Pull mains, push in setup and plug in mains usually resets Cyrus.

Hi AA...how long do I keep setup pressed for?

According to the manualslib Cyrus DAC X+ instructions, to do a factory reset I should hold down the standby key and not the setup button. Which is the correct action to get the factory reset? Setup or standby? Again for how long?

Not long at all, more or less as soon as the LCD goes green with text, my Pre2DAC is Setup but your one is different and it is Standby key you hold.

Worth a shot, best bet is call the dealer for advice/troubleshooting steps - unfortunately it may be faulty or damaged in transit

Worth a shot, best bet is call the dealer for advice/troubleshooting steps - unfortunately it may be faulty or damaged in transit
A real possibility...as the dealer said it was tested before listing on eBay but things can be dropped whilst being transported from dealer to myself...In theory it could be the transport but that was happily working when using an Auralic Altair G1 as the DAC until Monday morning when I received the DAC and Aries G1 (to be set up this morning)...thank you for your help.

Must be the DAC! I have set up my Auralic Aries G1 correctly and got the same outcome...white noise and no music. :(

advertisement

Back