advertisement

Cyrus 8 Amp - Repair??

Thanks everyone for all your replies, you've given me much to think about. Cyrus have advised me that the £330 includes delivery there and back and also a 12 month warranty so not a bad deal. The big question is how would the Cyrus 8 compare to some of the modern amps you've mentioned for around the £350 mark. As I said before this isn't my main system so I'm not as critical as I might usually be. I'm really grateful for your comments.

Thanks everyone for all your replies, you've given me much to think about. Cyrus have advised me that the £330 includes delivery there and back and also a 12 month warranty so not a bad deal. The big question is how would the Cyrus 8 compare to some of the modern amps you've mentioned for around the £350 mark. As I said before this isn't my main system so I'm not as critical as I might usually be. I'm really grateful for your comments.

The Marantz NR1200 is a no brainer BTW you'll not beat it function wise and at the RS price but it depends on what you want from an amp.

I previously had a Yamaha RN-803D which was very good but the Marantzt has an HDMI ARC out and HDMI in X 5 plus pre-outs and a sub out and it sounds excellent too but you really need to download both the Denon remote App and the HEOS app, I have an iPad Pro and both work perfectly with that but I'd say it was a must to use those two apps.

I just sold a Yahama A-S501 integrated for £150 I paid £250 for it last October, decent enough amp but a bit shouty at high volume.

I'm delighted with the Marantz it a bit better than the Yamaha receiver but the pre-outs and HDMI are worth it IMO but there are some issues with it according to google don't know if the new ones like mine are sorted but that's why I bought new from RS just in case but so far it's been faultless there are some odd things that I need to sort out but that's just setting it up properly for example if you switch off the TV the amp goes off then starts up again but if you switch the amp off with the Denon app then it stays off and it switches the TV off too and that stays off:D

Its not an easy decision. The repair cost will exceed the current value of the amplifier. If you like the Cyrus and I can understand why as an ex-cyrus owner, it's a moot point. Get it repaired/serviced and it could last another 20 years but you will not get your money back come selling.

Most other amplifiers will sound different. Cyrus has quite distinct traits (ONE series except). At a guess and purely from what I have read on many forums/reviews, the Rega may be the closest but I could be wrong. The Audiolab is smooth and will have better bass than the Cyrus. Its a very transparent and 'grown up' sound. Think High/er end but without the power that usually comes with it. If you like your sound vivid and mid forward, it may not be the right choice.

The
hi ash
if it was a car they would write it off !! dump it and spend the money on somnething better !!! for that price there is a reasonable choice
difference is: A dead car still has scrap value. A dead 20yr old Cyrus Amp won’t.

Morning All

My lovely old Cyrus 8 amplifier has suddenly developed a fault whereby after the initial boot-up stage it won’t actually switch on. The power light just flashes red.

Cyrus offer a repair service which suggests that they can get it back up and running with a warranty for £330. It’s obviously quite a lot of money to spend on a 20 year old amp so I wondered what people here would do?

The amp is only used in a second system and has recently been in my son’s bedroom when it stopped working!!!

Many thanks
Ash
Try a second opinion fro Class A in Sheffield

A quick update....

I took the advice I received earlier on this thread and made contact with Duncan Boyd. He is based in Scotland and has an active YouTube channel concerning all things Cyrus. Anyway he was able to carry out all repairs in addition to renewing various other components which were showing signs of wear. I nice chap to deal with and all for a price about half of what Cyrus were going to charge.

The amp is now back and working like new.

Thanks for all the help and advice.

A quick update....

I took the advice I received earlier on this thread and made contact with Duncan Boyd. He is based in Scotland and has an active YouTube channel concerning all things Cyrus. Anyway he was able to carry out all repairs in addition to renewing various other components which were showing signs of wear. I nice chap to deal with and all for a price about half of what Cyrus were going to charge.

The amp is now back and working like new.

Thanks for all the help and advice.
Great.

advertisement

Back