advertisement

Cyclist pedals 184 mph

What did they use as the front vehicle that was capable of carrying a shroud at that speed?
I remember reading about a previous attempt and them really struggling to find a car with sufficient balls to be able to drive at that speed with a bunch of cack on the back.

Good question. Quite a few production sports cars are capable of 200 mph, but they tend to be about three and a half feet high.

Dragster

0CFDAACE-E4B9-4DF8-88CA-7DBEE1CFAAA6_zpsqemse3ir.jpg

https://m.sfgate.com/business/article/American-woman-pedals-184-mph-smashing-record-13238437.php

What did they use as the front vehicle that was capable of carrying a shroud at that speed?
I remember reading about a previous attempt and them really struggling to find a car with sufficient balls to be able to drive at that speed with a bunch of cack on the back.

The article refers to a dragster being used although not what sort. A full on top fuel dragster has around about 10,000 bhp but would need to tow a tanker as well to keep it going that long

i'm also curios about how smooth the surface is.

Its the slat flats at Bonneville. They are created by flooding and then slow evaporation of the water leaving dead flat and grippy salt surface where a huge number of speed records have been achieved. It is also very big which is handy.

Its the slat flats at Bonneville. They are created by flooding and then slow evaporation of the water leaving dead flat and grippy salt surface where a huge number of speed records have been achieved. It is also very big which is handy.

but it doesn't look very smooth in the picture above. seem to be "pitted".

The most seedless grapes stuffed in the mouth is 94, achieved by Dinesh Shivnath Upadhyaya (India), in Mumbai, India, on 16 February 2018.

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/grape-stuffing

And done without a slipstream.
Grapes? Why grapes?
Is there a whole category of records for stuffing any and every item you can think into your mouth? On second thoughts I don’t even want to know what people stuff into their mouths in order to get into the GBR!

Grapes? Why grapes?
Is there a whole category of records for stuffing any and every item you can think into your mouth? On second thoughts I don’t even want to know what people stuff into their mouths in order to get into the GBR!

Sour grapes maybe?

but it doesn't look very smooth in the picture above. seem to be "pitted".

It gets damaged very easily so where cars turn round and where the pits and paddock are get chewed up badly but they can create several tracks which they keep clear for the speed runs and if necessary use a new one .

On all the footage of the salt flats that I've seen, and I've a 'thing' for the land speed record, the surface can be amazingly smooth during good years, and even rough looking salt can sometimes just be thin wisps of crystals sticking up. For cars that doesn't matter, but it'd be interesting to cycle on it.

advertisement

Back