advertisement

Cycling log - random events in the day of a cyclist

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorted a new short daily road ride straight out the front gate. 20 miles, 550m of ascent, currently nailing it in 85 minutes. 1 minute slower on the main climb today (Hollingbourne Hill) than I was on a century ride last July. :-(

Next bit of bike maintenance will be to convert the winter commuter back to an XC hardtail with new tyres and freshly serviced fox forks. Will be used for both North and South Downs XC routes over the next few months.

I have fond memories of the South Downs Way - not too muddy, glorious views and quite a workout. Unfortunately that was back in the day of no suspension, so sore wrists at the end also.

I have fond memories of the South Downs Way - not too muddy, glorious views and quite a workout. Unfortunately that was back in the day of no suspension, so sore wrists at the end also.
There's a lot of horrible slimy chalk if you do it in winter. Did the stretch from Eastbourne to Brighton a few years ago. Seemed to be a lot of ascending. Planning to do it with my 47 year old knees over two days this summer, with a wild camp overnight.

Just spotted on my Strava that I've gone through 6,000kms for this year. That's despite a poor April because of a virus. Maybe I set my 2019 target of 12,000 kms too low?

No mountain bike sorting today as I spent a delightful morning with the boy at Kearnsey abbey whilst the wife made the Bank holiday pilgrimage to the garden centre. Still did 2 laps of my loop in the opposite direction, though. Topped out at 45.6 mph according to Strava. My cheap as chips Planet X Pro Carbon does not inpsire confidence on those sorts of descents.

Kudos on that. 45.6mph on any bike requires balls. On the PX pro carbon it probably deserves a bravery award :)

I'm seriously impressed. No potholes down your way?

After suffering from a heavy cold last couple of weeks have now been diagnosed with shingles. Suppressed immune system helped virus come out of dormancy apparently.

Off the bike for a couple of weeks at least according to the doctor :(

Bad luck Neil - hope you're soon back in the saddle. I did a new PR on a local 8 mile (hilly) time trial last week, then ran a quick (for me) 5k on Saturday and I tried cycling today (finally stopped raining) but the legs were not willing.

How cheap is 'cheap as chips'?

I think I put it together for a £900 4 years ago. It's since had the cassette, chain and front mech upgraded from 105 to Ultegra and some fancier pedals and saddle fitted. It's all-white. A cosmetic decision I have come to regret.

Still, have burnt up plenty of fools in Rapha on DA Di2 equipped bikes on both this and the far fancier SRAM Red one I had before.

Kudos on that. 45.6mph on any bike requires balls. On the PX pro carbon it probably deserves a bravery award :)

I'm seriously impressed. No potholes down your way?
Nope, but its a gnarly old descent, with lots of patches worn through the scalpings. The PX Pro carbon wobbles and buzzes like a drunk bumble bee on it.

Operation Close Pass is now live... somewhere in Scotland.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-48181424

I expect to get passed within arm's length all the time and rarely make a fuss unless it's very close or very fast. That said, I blame the infrastructure, not the drivers, because without a genuine commitment to keeping cars, vans, buses and lorries away from people who cycle, like a commitment to go dutch, then faster traffic will always want and expect to travel at the permitted speed (or faster), even if it means getting up close and personal from time to time with people who cycle... people like you and me.

Crappy cold wind off the sea and tired legs from nine rides in ten days made today tough. Tempered by the pleasure of being on the new bike.

66kms at 27.6kph with 671m of lumps and bumps.

Much needed rest day tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back