advertisement

Cutting slots / holes in enclosures

Lefty

Trade: Amar Sood Photo
I'm a great admirer of all the fantastic DIY projects that go on within the PFM community and would love to get more involved myself. I am competent with a soldering iron, but the blocker for me is the mechanical side of things. As such, I thought I'd ask for some advice on how people tackle this side of things.

Specifically, I would like to know how people cut holes in enclosures for panel mounting things such as IEC sockets? What tools do people use for this and where are good places to get enclosures from?

In terms of a toolkit, I already have: soldering iron, de-solder pump, wire cutters / strippers. I am going shopping for more tools tomorrow. Are there any specific items people would recommend?

Many thanks for any help :)

Lefty

A Dremell, get a plug in unit, the rechargeable ones always need recharging part way through a job. Buy the click-wheel abrasive cutter bit and some discs and you can tackle rough slots in most things short of stainless steel, obviously not wood though.

The usual method to mount IEC panels etc is to draw a template, stick it down, drill the corners and then rough cut the inside hole, once cut file the insides smooth and even. Of course this is a total PITA and you'll end up sourcing decent cases with pre-cut sleds/backpanels. (just like you PSU has...)

Flatpopley has some shoebox cases, and I think he might have the sleds already cut for IEC. Les at Avondale does some smaller cases, for his MSX power supply and his Grad1 pre amp case, which is a little larger, though I don't think he buys them in bulk to sell mail order.

Other useful tools are a good drill (or drill press) and a 16mm bit for Din and Preh sockets.

So, needle file set, a Dremmel + click wheel bits, 12mm and 16mm HSS drill bits (Bosch) and a decent drill/drill press.

Don't use IEC sockets, use Neutrik PowerCON as they use a circular cutout and are a superior connector to the IEC. You can get a circular punch for steel sheet to 1 mm and alu up to 3mm.

But apart from that, the above from sq225917 is spot on

I've just had four small rear panels back from my local metal work shop. Each one had a rectangular hole for a switched and fused IEC inlet, and three holes for speaker terminals and a single input (mono block amplifiers). I was happy to hand over two twenties for a really professional job with fantastic acuaracy and finish since metal bashing is also a weak area for me.

The modushop cases from Italy are great value and come in a wide variety of sizes. They also do a pretty good job of getting the shipping right.

A small vice, one of those 'helping hands' thingies, a couple of small 'G' clamps, and a selection of tiny drill bits (for pcbs) are useful additions to a tool kit. A cutting mat (Maplin) is an essential for me, as is a basic (<£10) digital multimeter.

hth

malcolm

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Wow - Many thanks for all the advice guys!

SQ - it was actually your sterling work on my PSU that has inspired me to pick up my soldering iron!

Reassuring to know that you can source enclosures with pre-cut IEC sockets. Then I guess it's just drilling holes for mounting PCBs and transformers.

Last time I was in Maplin, I saw that they had a dremel style tool for around £45 with various attachements included. Will this do the job or do I really need a proper 'dremel' branded jobbie?

n57hg.jpg

I will get the other bits tomorrow, including a £20 workbench from Maplin.

n07jf_main.jpg

I'm guessing this will also be sufficient to hold itmes whilst I drill? (Or will I need a proper vice for this?) My intention is to work out in the garden as there is no space indoors for such activities :(

Now to think of something to make for my first project!

Lefty

a deburring tool?
a handle with a wiggly blade at the end, you insert into drilled holes give it a few turns and it cleans up the metal edges a treat

Automatic Centre Punch and Step Drill Set - Tool Station - 29430 £3.37 and 30591 £14.86.
Metal Drill Bit Set 1 - 10mm - 63041 £5.17
Selection of files - round, square, flat

Mark out panels on masking tape, centre punch then drill.
Aluminium Instrument Enclosures from Maplin - N74AL to N85AL

Have fun, Paul

Don't forget safety glasses. You'll need them with Dremel cut-off discs, which are notorious for shattering when they get snagged in hand-held mode.

Thanks again guys. A shopping list has been compiled. I shall hit the town today to see how much of it can be sourced from Maplins / B&Q. The rest will be sourced online.

Any ideas for a first project? I wouldn't mind making a decent preamp to try into the Pure Sound A30....

Lefty

I tend to put together draft plates for the connections. I make them out of plastic sheet which is easily cut and provides additional safety.

If you have time drill lots of small holes within the outline of the shape you want and file outrages upwards the line using small rat tail small round and flat files.

That's how I do it...... But time consuming.

Richard

Yeh, there's cheaper options. Maybe start on something with none lethal mains voltages for your first task.

Ah - I've just seen the cost (!)

I was thinking something in the sub £500 bracket. Perhaps this will be a good starting point: WD Pre3 (although I will also need the PSU)

WDPRE3t.jpg

Lefty

Don't know what the general opinion of HSS Taper Drill bits are in the long term, but I used one on my cases and find it worked very well. You have to drill a pilot hole first, but avoids having to buy several quite expensive circular drill bits for the different sized holes. I also found It gives a very clean cut finish which didn't need to be filed.

£8.12 - 6-20 mm HSS taper drill bit: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0015NPPFG/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Don't forget safety glasses. You'll need them with Dremel cut-off discs, which are notorious for shattering when they get snagged in hand-held mode.

The safety glasses only work when they are being worn, buy a hook to hang them on. I have three pairs and still lose them.
Leather gloves for handling sharp edges and latex gloves are handy for general work.

A bench drill and vice is a very handy bit of kit, second hand i paid 30 quid.

Do not put your hand in front of a cutting edge, don't laugh we have all done it and it hurts.

Alternatively have someone on standby to take you and the amputated digit packed in ice to the local A and E hospital.

advertisement

Back