advertisement

Cutting heavy metal case

Tim F

pfm Member
Hey all,

I need to cut a hole for an iec inlet, the metal case I have is very thick. What’s the best way to do this? (even if using a company). The case isn’t built so it’s still as a standalone sheet.

Thanks Tim

Mark out the hole required
Drill some holes inside the markings
Use a file to make opening

This worked beautifully for me

If it's alluminium I have had good results using a coping saw after marking out and drilling holes in the corners. Finish to size with a file.

Hey all,

I need to cut a hole for an iec inlet, the metal case I have is very thick. What’s the best way to do this? (even if using a company). The case isn’t built so it’s still as a standalone sheet.

Thanks Tim

How thick is "very thick"? The tooling required/recommended will vary according to actual thickness.

Search on Ebay for "Bimetal holesaw". You'll find that Rennie tool co has the largest range of sizes. Bear in mind that you'll also need the appropriate arbor.

Toolstation are also good but their sizes are limited.

As above, mark out the shape, drill the corners, jigsaw, file or a Dremel type tool. If it's ally, which is likely for heavy material, it's soft and easy to work. If you have a vice or some other clamping method a file will be easy enough, otherwise a small power tool will be easier as you can use it with one hand and hold the work in the other.

Alternatively, stop listening to Sabbath and go for something softer. Led Zep, say. That's a means of cutting heavy metal.

About to get a Dremel tool for this. Thanks for the advice. Any view on a good cutting disk set? I’m not sure what the decent brands are.

Depending on the size of the sheet & hole it can be milled out or drilled on a bench drill if you want it to be a neat job.

I can do either if needs be

advertisement

Back