advertisement

Custom Design wallframe G4

dektop1

looks similar to the Audiotech. Has anyone tried one ? I'm thinking of using one to wall mount a NAim 180

They were about £150 10 years ago (or at least the original version was). They are good enough but I'm not sure I'd fork out £400 for one (and certainly not for putting an amp on).

Looks very similar to my custom design shelf, except mine has a glass shelf.

A point of note and worth checking is the glass floats on the shelf on the spikes provided. In practice this is not safe as a small knock makes the glass move and it would be possible to knock the whole shelf and TT of the wall quite easily. I got around this by superglueing some spike shoes to the bottom of the shelf, as per picture. It is now rock solid and totally safe. It would be worth checking if they have addressed this design flaw before purchase, or you may wish to consider doing something similar.

That said, it's a decent looking shelf, solid as a rock, and I could probably hang an elephant from it with no bother. So I do recommend it.

Not for £400 notes though. I picked mine up on ebay for about £100, so worth keeping an eye out.

Looks very similar to my custom design shelf, except mine has a glass shelf.

A point of note and worth checking is the glass floats on the shelf on the spikes provided. In practice this is not safe as a small knock makes the glass move and it would be possible to knock the whole shelf and TT of the wall quite easily. I got around this by superglueing some spike shoes to the bottom of the shelf, as per picture. It is now rock solid and totally safe. It would be worth checking if they have addressed this design flaw before purchase, or you may wish to consider doing something similar.

That said, it's a decent looking shelf, solid as a rock, and I could probably hang an elephant from it with no bother. So I do recommend it.

Not for £400 notes though. I picked mine up on ebay for about £100, so worth keeping an eye out.

thanks, what dod you attache the frame to the wall with - a raw bolt?

Some monster wall plugs designed for massive heavy TVs to be affixed to the wall from B&Q. They have max weight ratings on them. I can't remember the exact limit, but it was something ridiculous like 50kg each. Way more than is required.

Last edited:
I like Custom Design speaker stands with their constrained layer top plates , but I'm not keen on glass under a turntable .
More years ago than I care to remember I had a Sound Org wall shelf with a chipboard platform , it was okay . I replaced that with a Audiotech wall bracket ranked by many as the best , better . If honest I could never understand what the fuss was about . Yes it was better than the SoundOrg and if that was as good as wall brackets got then fine . A few years ago I bought a Quadraspire SVT rack with my LP12 on top , a top loading CD player meant a wall shelf was again required .
A matching SVT wall shelf came my way , bamboo shelf/ platform and a set of bronze spikes . Oh my, best thing I ever put under my LP12

Over kill for a Naim 180 .
Ikea Brackets with a Ikea lack shelf , a bamboo chopping board and some Precision Geek ( e-bay ) brass spikes , brass spikes with brass cups and save yourself £ 300 notes . It will look good and sound great

advertisement

Back