advertisement

Currently on vacation in Edinburgh.

Ok, North Berwick then. I guess the simplest is to buy a physical ticket from Waverly Station with ScotRail.

Years ago at Hastings we were very surprised to see that in Britain, several train operators could compete on the same lines, at different prices.

I know it isn’t an easy task to get private companies to cooperate with each other in order to improve the offer for locals and tourists alike, but it is possible, making it a win-win. We love your country, we really do, but this looks shabby.
Tell us how you like it!

Always enjoy a visit to Valvona & Crolla whenever I’m in the capital.

We all know you're only here to stock up on our cheese, chocolate and quality timepieces ; )
We like Cheddar and would need six months to taste them all, I like Cadbury’s Milk Chocolate (if somewhat sweet) more than the one we get at home, and apple watches bought in England are probably much less of a ripoff than 90 per cent of all those, for most parts, actually chinese watches that bear a Swiss name and price tag.

Always a nice surprise in Britain: good beer and excellent pub bands. For our ears they all have a hell of a level, all of them.

Many weirdos to be seen on the streets. I see this as positive, they don’t get hidden away like they are in other countries.

what sort of weirdos?
People with mental issues, I believe they must be part of society like anyone else, as long as they don’t represent a danger to others. People with blue hair, piercings, ultra ostentatious make up. People who are definitely overweight, but who dress as if they weren’t. People of supreme elegance who tend to walk in groups in order to show that they have (made) it. People who approach our park bench, telling us their life story until they grasp that we barely speak english, and are not too familiar with their scottish dialect, especially when spoken through a lot of missing teeth.

Yesterday we were woken up by some sort of LBGT+ pride filling the streets, of course we saw everything under the sun, plus a little more.

There must be a place for all those people, and indeed the city is looking very diverse and open minded to us. We enjoy our days very much.

Train fares almost certainly correct. In fact I'm surprised the return isn't cheaper than the single. Welcome to fragmented privately owned franchised railways run so the friends of politicians can take tax payers money.

Wouldn't bother with Elie; if you're going that far push on to Crail. Personally (as someone who grew up in the Crail/Elie area) I would in fact second the North Berwick suggestion based mainly on the direct train link and comparable experience.

Train fares almost certainly correct. In fact I'm surprised the return isn't cheaper than the single. Welcome to fragmented privately owned franchised railways
… and buses as well. Yesterday we took a day card in a Lothian bus, subsequently we always took Lothian as we presumed there were no agreement between the operators.

Fortunately Google Maps’ plans and schedules have become pretty good. At one bus station it even turned out that the information panel was incorrect, and Google Maps correct.

NB was an excellent place to chill out before our flight home early tomorrow, a surprisingly ‘underdeveloped’ place. Most importantly there was no techno music to be heard anywhere, a plague these days.

advertisement

Back