advertisement

Currently on vacation in Edinburgh.

Cheese

Bitter lover
Very friendly people, always helpful. A lovely place in every way, we are delighted.

We have a few days left and would love to visit a picturesque town along the sea, reachable by public transport.

Any ideas ?

Probably the most picturesque is Culross a National Trust for Scotland preserved village and also in Fife there is Elie.
in East Lothian there is North Berwick, Dunbar or further south there is Berwick-upon-Tweed a historic walled city.

I would say Portobello is all about the beach with a fairly standard town behind it North Berwick and Dunbar both have Good beaches and are “nicer”.
Culross information: https://www.nts.org.uk/visit/places/culross
Elie is probably the most picturesque with unrestricted access.
I would probably vote for North Berwick for ease of access but Elie is probably the nicest.

I've been to Cramond a few times but never walked across at low tide to Cramond Island via the anti submarine pylons. Apparently there's a large complex of WW2 bunkers there. A large Roman artefact, The Cramond Lioness was found by a ferryman as recently as 1997. Cramond has a decent pub but is quite a small village so in itself may not be what the OP is after. Great views of the Firth of Forth though.

We just found ´Dean Village’. Not on the sea but it looks cool, and it’s close to the botanical gardens, a must-see for my girlfriend. Thanks to all !

St Andrews isn't too far away... bus, or train and a bus.
Cheese, you're Swiss aren't you so prices here must be very cheap, so train to Leuchars and taxi to St Andrews.

Elie is lovely but a long way from Edinburgh, no train so would have to be bus.... Could be a long journey each way.

Trains to/from Leuchars have been iffy recently, my daughter is at uni there and has many horror stories of cancelled trains and overcrowding.

North Berwick.... Direct train, only 25 mins or so. Nice place with plenty of cafes, ice cream, fish'n'chips, seafood, harbour, sea bird centre, view to the Bass Rock, boat trips.

Cheese, you're Swiss aren't you so prices here must be very cheap, so train to Leuchars and taxi to St Andrews.
Yes, this is an advantage we have, we live cheaply when abroad, pretty much everywhere we go, apart maybe from Scandinavia and the Arabian peninsula. But in Edin we found that things often weren’t exactly cheap. But it’s a city so what do you expect.

North Berwick is getting a lot of votes apparently.

Royal Highland Show is on at the moment. Sold out Saturday I understand. Means Edinburgh is busy this weekend and hotels expensive.

North Berwick, just got back after visiting family this week. Lobster Shack is good on the harbour, same owners of the Rocketeer then there is the Puffin and the Herringbone on the high street…Great coffee also at steampunk coffee

I agree re Elie. A lovely place to visit.
journey not too bad. Train to Kirkcaldy. Short walk to bus station. Bus to Elie

But if only looking for a short day trip, probably too much time travelling.

so, big yes to North Berwick.

I agree re Elie. A lovely place to visit.
journey not too bad. Train to Kirkcaldy. Short walk to bus station. Bus to Elie

But if only looking for a short day trip, probably too much time travelling.
I'd only do Elie if I had a car and had already booked the Ship Inn for lunch (always busy).... It's nice but there isn't really anything to do there apart from the beach and the Ship Inn.

Ok, North Berwick then. I guess the simplest is to buy a physical ticket from Waverly Station with ScotRail.

Years ago at Hastings we were very surprised to see that in Britain, several train operators could compete on the same lines, at different prices.

I know it isn’t an easy task to get private companies to cooperate with each other in order to improve the offer for locals and tourists alike, but it is possible, making it a win-win. We love your country, we really do, but this looks shabby.

There's only one operator connecting Edinburgh with NB, and that's Scotrail

Buy ticket over the counter at Waverley, or from ticket machines at the same place. No need to ask for a specific Scotrail ticket.

advertisement

Back