advertisement

Currently at war against a Squeezebox Radio - advice for a working kitchen radio ?

Cheese

Bitter lover
Hi all,

I just bought such a thingy ...

logitech_squeezebox-radio-black_162965_8.jpg

...and I am just baffled by the fact that there must have been one guy at Logitech who 1) decided to liberate this unbelievably crappy piece of junk for sale and 2) definitely deserves a good slap in his face.

Not that its concept isn't good, in fact it seems brilliant to me and some people pay far more for a toy - but I have yet to find out one thing which works reliably on it. For me it's okay because when the music stops without any apparent reason or when all presets (regularly) get lost, I can fiddle around to make it work again. The trouble is that I bought the thing for my mother for use in the kitchen, I wanted to buy her a radio which she can switch on and later switch off, with a reliably working brodcast in between. And for this purpose you can just forget it.

It works more or less reliably when your local SqueezeServer is running on your PC, some functions you designed in your profile still don't work but let's forget about that. My point is that the radio is actually supposed to work as a more or less standalone device, the Logitech online server taking over the job when your PC or NAS is down (and the profile is stored on the web anyway). In my case this is important because my parents don't have a PC and I took the radio signal from their neighbour's wireless router, he has a bandwith of 50 Mb so the bottleneck isn't there. The disillusion is big - in fact, offline it doesn't work nine times out of ten. And when the radio actually finds the profile, you can be sure that presets will get lost a few hours later without any apparent reason, and sometimes the music itself stops (server overload?).

Did anyone of you actually get this thing to work ? Maybe I'm doing something wrong. At the same time I'd be happy for any suggestions for an small but actually working internet radio.

Thanks.

The SB Boom is much better than the Radio IME, I've had tons of hassle with my Radio.

But most of the problems like this are network related, and presumably you have no control over or ability to monitor the quality of your neighbour's network. It's quite possible that he has it configured badly, or there is interference or something; music streaming is actually quite a challenge for a network, and the headline download speed is little to do with it.

Check which wlan channel is using your router and see which channels are using neighbours router. If they are to many wlans on one channel, than it is problematic :)

It seems a very complicated way to listen to the humble old wireless.
[Not including DAB exclusive stations in the above comment]

I recently purchased the Tivoli Audio Model 10 radio. It is a relatively new model that can be used as a single box AM/FM/Aux1/Aux2 system or you can expand it to a stereo by adding a speaker add on. There is a headphone out mini jack and a sub out jack for connecting their optional subwoofer.

I use my Model 10 in my kitchen since I don't really have room for anything else. It sounds great and with the remote control you can place it away from your reach (unlike the manual models 1 & 2). Sometimes the simplest solution is the best one.

I also thought that this product looked interesting,

http://www.versaudio.com/vers15rspec.html

Scott

my player wouldn't stream through two walls. Another one works wirelessly through two walls but closer together.

Used a Roberts WM-202 for 2 years without any problems. Doesn't lose presets or anything like that! Sounds good too (2 proper speakers in the cabinet - the SB radio sound is pretty poor and weak imho)

Good luck

Richard

None of this Squeezebox thingy in my house. If I want to hear music in the kitchen I just turn the stereo up :D

advertisement

Back