advertisement

current moving cables

Not the ones I worked with. The pulses were too short and too infrequent to cause any noticeable heating of the cables. The flash tube got pretty hot, obviously.

Induction furnaces here. Biggest ones worked on 11KV 3 phase. As cooling water ran through live conductors it had to be perfectly pure and I recall there were water purity monitor boards which would shut it down if any conductivity was detected.

Induction furnaces here. Biggest ones worked on 11KV 3 phase. As cooling water ran through live conductors it had to be perfectly pure and I recall there were water purity monitor boards which would shut it down if any conductivity was detected.

I'm surprised they used water. There are a number of dielectric coolant fluids that have been used for cooling electronics for decades, there must be another reason that these weren't suitable.

I saw a truck knock down a power pole once, and the HT lines were dancing across the road.

I'm surprised they used water. There are a number of dielectric coolant fluids that have been used for cooling electronics for decades, there must be another reason that these weren't suitable.

High purity distilled water is the most commonly used coolant in such applications. It needs no dielectric properties etc as it's just a coolant. Different from insulating coolant oil in HV transformers etc.

advertisement

Back