advertisement

Curb Your Enthusiasm.

The Captain

~~~~~~~~~~
Hi chaps,

any super-fans on here? I recently bought a good few early seasons, up until season 6, on dvd. What I found was that 6 was waaay better than the earlier ones. The Black family inclusion, was a revelation (the best black comedy I've ever seen in my life), & lifted the season hugely.

But is season 6 a one-off? Known to be the best perhaps-? Sure, there are many moments of fabulous pinpoint humour in the earlier ones.. but you have to wait for them I found. And I got a bit bored, & irritated by the average jewish humour whilst waiting. Season 6 tho.. brilliant.

Does anyone know how seasons 7-to-last, compare with season 6? Does the Black man (forget his name, but he's an absolute comic supremo [& his surname is Black] particularly the 'jaculat-?' sketch!!).. so any season with him properly in it, & I'm good to go to buy that.

Thanks, Capt

Leon is in all seasons since his introduction. the final season has just been released or is about to be released, all worth watching although I think the decision to end it was the right one.

I've just started rewatching the whole series after a long break. It improves with age and I found more humour in some of the interplay than I'd noticed before. Esp. with Richard Lewis. I'm just starting S9, which was as far as I've been previously, and looking forward to seeing the final few seaons for the first time.

I love how in the early seasons you feel sympathy for Larry, and form the impression that he is just a really unlucky, if well meaning, guy. The brilliant character development however gradually reveals him to be the most self-centred and self absorbed arsehole you could imagine.

Incidentally, has anyone ever actually tried the finger dipped in Tabasco up the ass?

I love it but have never had the time to go back and watch from the start. It doesn’t help that Mrs BB hates it. It’s up there for me as one of the greats.

Cheers BB

I'm watching it now; Larry is about to confront Michael J Fox about his Parkinson's stomp!

One of the great comedy series, my wife doesn't appreciate it! The latest series is more of the same greatness.

I'm watching it now; Larry is about to confront Michael J Fox about his Parkinson's stomp!

One of the great comedy series, my wife doesn't appreciate it! The latest series is more of the same greatness.
Hah! I watched that ep. last night ...

Aha I thought there might be some pfm grumps who like Curb..! Good stuff thanks for replies (although @Finnegan needs to pipe down on his fruity spiel, on the sabbath already).

I spotted LD's first tiny acting role in Woody Allen's Oedipus Wrecks short (which I love/ mid 80's or so) just t'other day.. so he was actually a minor actor prior to producer on Seinfeld (not a fan of this myself).

Good I'll look out for seasons 7 on then, if Smoovie Leon's on board for all onwards from 6- glad to know this.

Capt

I loved Seinfeld.

I think it was Danny Baker I heard say that Larry David was so sure he was not going to make it he scoped out areas that would be good for sleeping rough, in case if he ever became homeless.

Cheers BB

I'm not sure when it was filmed but Lewis looked awfully ill, it must have been close to the end.
I loved that they were arguing over his will, though.

Any comedy that’s prepared to tackle how to dump an awful person that’s just had a cancer diagnosis or to explore Zionism via fast food is fine by me.

Just demolishing season 3 which arrived in my postbox this week, & got season 7 today too. Curb marathon.

Joan Rivers had about 3 seconds of screen time, end of ep 5, & got in one of the best lines I've heard yet..

"I've seen better faces on hemmorroids". Blinding. And gotta be one of hers/ not even written by LD.

Capt

Does the Black man (forget his name, but he's an absolute comic supremo [& his surname is Black] particularly the 'jaculat-?' sketch!!).. so any season with him properly in it, & I'm good to go to buy that.

Yeah, J. B. Smoove is a funny man.

I spotted LD's first tiny acting role in Woody Allen's Oedipus Wrecks short (which I love/ mid 80's or so) just t'other day.. so he was actually a minor actor prior to producer on Seinfeld (not a fan of this myself).

Before that he was a cast member on a short-lived sketch comedy show called "ABC Fridays", a direct rip of NBC's "Saturday Night Live". He was consistently funny on that one, particularly his portrayal of Larry Fine in their Three Stooges sketches.

Before that he was a cast member on a short-lived sketch comedy show called "ABC Fridays", a direct rip of NBC's "Saturday Night Live". He was consistently funny on that one, particularly his portrayal of Larry Fine in their Three Stooges sketches.
That’s free with ads on Plex right now. The music is astonishing. One of the early episodes has the Clash.

2nd best line of series 3 (which is average on the whole.. my thinking to start at season 6 seems right IMHO):

"I'm surprised hitler didn't round up all the toupe wearers".

Capt

I'm in a bit of a grump today, for some reason, so I may as well make the most of it & comment on the Curb UK inclusions on my own thread. To myself then or something.

They ain't so good.

Steve Coogan's character, wasn't the slightest bit amusing. In fact it was cringey. How he went from a masterful comic character as Alan Partridge (I mean early on: On The Hour, The Day Today following it, & Brass Eye) to this woeful chatacter-? He redeems himself though but as a serious actor, oddly enough, with his Savile work.

And sorry but Tracy Ullman, even with her HUGE LA street cred having hosted The Simpsons.. also ain't up to par. Reasonable only, but trying to 'act jewish'.. was always gonna be tricky, if you're not. The US accent not great either.

And wtf about Michael York's inclusion already-? He had about 3 short lines, was even shoved out of shot once! & hasn't a funnybone amongst his erm.. 233. I felt LD was actually ridiculing him with this strange choice of cast inclusion.

Capt

advertisement

Back