advertisement

Croft vs Exposure with P3ESR

Fretbuzz

pfm Member
With P3ESR’s, has anyone been able to directly compare any of the following integrated amps please:

- Croft standard and/or R

- Exposure 2010S and/or D

- Exposure 3010S and/or D

They all seem popular choices and are on my final shortlist.

I’ve owned a Croft integrated before, though modified with active line stage, and it paired well in a P3 demo.

Cheers.

Unfortunately, I can't say anything directly about your devices, but about the manufacturer comparison.
I had an Exposure XI+IX and 4DR and switched to Croft 25RS and 7S.
The Exposures are faster. The Crofts are more enjoyable even over long sessions.
If you listen to more acoustic instruments (jazz, classical) by all means Croft ( tubes) If it's more pop/rock, the Exposures are more "fun" for a while.

Edit: If money allows, equip the Crofts as high quality as possible. Glen is very flexible in this respect. At the end I had very individual special editions ;-)
I bought the equipment directly from him, because the back and forth from Europe mainland was too hassle. And it was worth it in every respect

Had a Croft Integrated and a 3010s2d with Harbeth C7ES3 which I know are not the same, but might help build a picture...

Croft I found a little rough in the treble and not at all right with piano, strings, voices - otherwise excellent! Exposure was great: refined, polished, rich, well balanced, solid - couldn't really ask for more, although the Croft probably beat it for imaging.

Others didn't have my problems with the Croft (I mean with that very one) so it'll come down to how your ears work in the end.

Thanks. Croft would be my default, and my feeling is the R would bring a bit more welcome grip. I now have a 25R pre but non-Croft amp (and I do want to go to one box and not say get a matching 7/R, esp as I don't need rho phono stage in this one now).

I used an Exposure to demo some AN speakers once and was really impressed. Can't recall which model though.

Not familiar with the older Exposure models tbh, will have a look!

I recently bought a 2010S2 and it's great!

More punch and bass control than Croft Phono Integrated (which has lovely mids...).

Cool. How subtle or obvious was the difference?

I've owned both the Exposure and the Croft on P3's, but not at the same time.

From memory I'd say I'd toss a coin to pick one over the other. If you're into vinyl the Croft has a real nice phono preamp.

Not exactly your question, but I know the P3ESR work phantastic with a Croft pre/ pwr combi
and I happen to know that an Exposure X was good, but left a bit to be desired in authority.
I love the X, but the P3ESR can take a fair bit of control and are grateful for it.
So despite my ignorance of new-ish Exposure items, my gut feel would pick in the Croft direction.
And as indicated before, I'd be rather sure stretching the budget a tiny bit more would pay out well.

I have a exposure 3010s2 with Falcon ls3/5a, similar in sound signature with p3

Depending on what genre you listen to, I don't think it's a good match. Exposure is already smooth and matching it with p3 smoothness makes things a little less balanced than I'd like it to be. That's only because I listen to hip hop from time to time and found it unsatisfying with the exposure on ls3/5a.

Roksan on the other hand... Wow

Depending on what genre you listen to, I don't think it's a good match. Exposure is already smooth and matching it with p3 smoothness makes things a little less balanced than I'd like it to be. That's only because I listen to hip hop from time to time and found it unsatisfying with the exposure on ls3/5a.

Roksan what?:)

Hip Hop with the LS3/5a?:eek:

Exposure 3010S2 smooth? :rolleyes:

A Sugden IA4 would give you everything you want but at a price !
I heard these little Harbeth speakers with a Supernait and it was addictive although the soundstage wasn’t up to a vacuum tubes amp.
I guess that with an Exposure, the sound should be similar to the Naim.

I’m one of the few who don’t like Harbeth with Croft. Clear and spacious, but edgy to my ears.

Thanks for the further experiences and insights.

Mixed bag as ever :)

Few things:
- Really do want one box - idea is to slim it all down....
- Impression from limited listening to Exposure (think it was actually the 3010S2) wasn't that it was smooth as such... Not bright, but open, and slightly warm of neutral. Perhaps like a slightly punchier and less delicate Croft? Again different speakers though.
- Partial to a bit of hip hop mi' self!
- IA4, looks lovely but yes price!

I've owned both the Exposure and the Croft on P3's, but not at the same time.

From memory I'd say I'd toss a coin to pick one over the other. If you're into vinyl the Croft has a real nice phono preamp.

Interesting - you mean close in sound or just not so much you'd remember after some time? Which models were they?

I’m one of the few who don’t like Harbeth with Croft. Clear and spacious, but edgy to my ears.

OK - find Croft has those characteristics with Harbeth in particular? I never found it edgy previously (my Integrated). What has been your preference with the Harbeths?

advertisement

Back