advertisement

[WTD] Croft pre 25R

will1124

pfm Member
Probably a long shot, but if you are on an upgrade path and willing to let yours go, please send me a pm.

Thanks,

You might be better offf looking for a Croft preamp', as the circuit inside will have had many model designations over the years. 25R was just the most recent designation - and it comes in line only or with phono stage.

Keep an eye on EPay - 7 of various designations have sold in the past 10 weeks (none currently listed). I would not worry about buying anything untested or even dud, so long as you get pic's of the insides and they look OK. They are mind-numbingly simple inside so any fix ought to be simple. (I bought mine as a dud - it had a broken toggle switch and a dry joint on a volume pot'. Easily found and cost me less than £2 to fix - in reality nothing as I had a toggle switch.)

Thank you Vinny, I am not too fussy about which models.. super micro or SR are also considered.

And I will keep eyes on the bay.

The hassle with searching is that Glenn used endless names for his pre-amp's over the years, and all and none of those are used by different sellers, and they don't always call them a preamp'. All that you can really search for is "Croft" on EPay, but unless you restrict the area you search you will get lots of Lara Croft hits too.

used tube pre amplifier | eBay

Steep for what it is at 500, based on recent sales, though some were obscenely low. An old unit too (not that that makes much odds), based on the case. Tape record has been sacrificed for a CD input though.......

Looks to be 2 x ECC83 phono stage plus a cathode follower output (probably ECC82), plus two power supply valves - ECL85 and 85A2 probably.

My Super has a push-pull output using 2 x 12BH7 (and sounds way different to a version with an ECC82 cathode follower). Just illustrating that going by model designation means all but nowt in 99% of cases. Mega Micro being the one obvious exception (probably).

Very low serial no. and potentially interesting valves - badged CVC, but could be any manufacturer - mine are early Mullard.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back