advertisement

Croft Line Integrated

I like Croft amps a lot but it's true, they're very odd and measure badly. I see no problem bearing that in mind/being aware of it. In certain circumstances it will matter, audibly.

Measurements tell about electrical performance/compatibility, they are factual.

Raving tells about personal preference, it's a matter of personal opinion.

If you look at the frequency response plot you will see that when the amplifier is driving a speaker load the response is all over the place (black trace).
Different speakers will produce a different load, to the all-over-the-place will vary from speaker to speaker.

1013Croftfig04.jpg

As you can see, the combined response of the amplifier/speaker closely mimics the speaker load – peaks and dips at the exact same frequencies (below).

scan58.jpg

I couldn't give a **** about a ruler-flat frequency response because that tells you bugger all about how a component reproduces MUSIC.

FWIW, I auditioned the Croft Micro 25/7 pre/power amp combo and really liked how they sounded with my LS3/5As - amazing transparency and almost certainly better than anything else for around the same price.

If measurements are important to you then perhaps consider the 7R power amp which has a better regulated power supply (interestingly, some Croft users prefer the base model).

I have the base model Croft 25/7 - I just can't beat that amp for the price (or any price I guess). I am seriously considering getting a remote control added for convenience.

The Croft looks rather plain Jane - but what do you want the looks or the sound?

Right now my focus is on the digital transport ... more on that later.

Oh and the mention of Audioflair earlier - this is where I sought my advice an ultimately purchased the Croft from - Adrian is really helpful from that perspective.

Oh and the mention of Audioflair earlier - this is where I sought my advice an ultimately purchased the Croft from - Adrian is really helpful from that perspective.

Another thumbs up for Audioflair. When I had a Croft preamp modified Adrian's charges were extremely reasonable and service was very friendly and relaxed - he was very happy to chat and show me gear for as long as I liked.

+1 Adrian helped me out above and beyond with a Croft Pre I bought used from one of his previous customers. I was getting interference one weekend - turned out a neighbour was the source, he helped me pin it down.

Yeah Adrian was great to deal with. Nice guy, really genuine. Opposite of hard sell too, which appealed.

If you look at the frequency response plot you will see that when the amplifier is driving a speaker load the response is all over the place (black trace).
Different speakers will produce a different load, to the all-over-the-place will vary from speaker to speaker.

1013Croftfig04.jpg

As you can see, the combined response of the amplifier/speaker closely mimics the speaker load – peaks and dips at the exact same frequencies (below).

scan58.jpg
I have no idea how that’s a reply to me. I think we all know that listening is about personal preference. I simply stated who did what at Stereophile as it relates to the amp.

I couldn't give a **** about a ruler-flat frequency response because that tells you bugger all about how a component reproduces MUSIC.

Of course it does. Maybe not to you and many others but it tells about the balance between different frequencies/notes.

Would you buy a TV set which reproduced the sky with a green colour cast and yellow-tinted pure whites?

I know accuracy is easier to see than to hear and some degree of deviation from flat/accurate is to be expected but with the Croft, a Prima Luna or a Leben that deviation can be acceptable to massive depending the speakers they’re connected to.

I understand that massive deviation is likely to please some people, to sound “musical” to them, but I find it useful to warn that this may be the case.

no matter your preference the Croft will be affected by the load it’s driving and it will vary a lot more than it does with most amplifiers.

The Croft integrated amp is certainly "picky" speaker depending.
Ignoring this is stupid.
Give it the right circumstance and its good, I'd pick one of the recent Rega amps instead, they are not that "picky" but wonderfull involving.

Please donot forget that the output of a Croft Integrated has reversed polarity
Makes a difference in soundbalance/quality
So connect speaker black and red resp. to amp red and black

1013Croftfig04.jpg

But a loudspeaker is not a constant load. It is varying all the time, anywhere from 2ohms to 60 ohms in some cases, depending on the frequency and the speaker. The variance in the audio range above is around +/-1dB, volume controls vary up to +/- 2dB, and seeing as the human hearing can just about detect 1dB, you will probably never hear or notice this variance. It just goes to prove that although measurements are valid, they need to be put into prospective.

Of course it does. Maybe not to you and many others but it tells about the balance between different frequencies/notes.

Would you buy a TV set which reproduced the sky with a green colour cast and yellow-tinted pure whites?

I know accuracy is easier to see than to hear and some degree of deviation from flat/accurate is to be expected but with the Croft, a Prima Luna or a Leben that deviation can be acceptable to massive depending the speakers they’re connected to.

I understand that massive deviation is likely to please some people, to sound “musical” to them, but I find it useful to warn that this may be the case.

no matter your preference the Croft will be affected by the load it’s driving and it will vary a lot more than it does with most amplifiers.

Music and sounds - two very different things. Use the ear-brain to measure the former, lab equipment the latter.

Music is an event in time, so your analogy with TV image quality is irrelevant.

But a loudspeaker is not a constant load. It is varying all the time, anywhere from 2ohms to 60 ohms in some cases, depending on the frequency and the speaker. The variance in the audio range above is around +/-1dB, volume controls vary up to +/- 2dB, and seeing as the human hearing can just about detect 1dB, you will probably never hear or notice this variance. It just goes to prove that although measurements are valid, they need to be put into prospective.

It is precisely the variable load across the audio band that causes issues with amplifiers like the Croft or with SETs.

Studies show that we are able to hear variations as low as 0.2dB depending on the frequency in question and possibly the listener’s training/capabilities. A 2dB difference is more noticeable than a change of cables.

Music and sounds - two very different things. Use the ear-brain to measure the former, lab equipment the latter.

Music is an event in time, so your analogy with TV image quality is irrelevant.

That’s a simplistic way to look at it, but whatever rocks your boat.

It is precisely the variable load across the audio band that causes issues with amplifiers like the Croft or with SETs.

And what issues are those?

Studies show that we are able to hear variations as low as 0.2dB depending on the frequency in question and possibly the listener’s training/capabilities. A 2dB difference is more noticeable than a change of cables.

Whatever studies show, it is recognised in the audio industry that the smallest perceived change people can hear is 1dB. The standard frequency range for audio is 20-20kHz +/-3dB. A man of approximately 50-60 years old will not be able to hear above 12KHz-13KHz. As I said previously, Prospective!

And what issues are those?

Whatever studies show, it is recognised in the audio industry that the smallest perceived change people can hear is 1dB. The standard frequency range for audio is 20-20kHz +/-3dB. A man of approximately 50-60 years old will not be able to hear above 12KHz-13KHz. As I said previously, Prospective!

+/~ 3dB was the goal for speakers at the end of the last century.

I’ve written about the issues of amps having high output impedance earlier in the thread.

+/~ 3dB was the goal for speakers at the end of the last century.

What was last century is still perfectly relevant today. Don't forget with the exception of digital, audio was all done and dusted in the 1920s/1930s. If you don't believe this just go to the Munich Show and hear one of the 1930s Western Electric Speaker Systems.

I’ve written about the issues of amps having high output impedance earlier in the thread.

The alternative to high output impedance is a lot of negative feedback. Audio like a lot of things in life is all about compromise, and to get the best sound you have to minimise the compromises. Many think, including the likes of Art Dudley, Stephen Mejias and Sam Tellig suggest that a lack of feedback is preferable to a lot of feedback, hence their comments about how much they liked the sound of the Croft. At the end of the day it will be up to the buyers of equipment to decide for themselves which sound they prefer, and not the preaching from religious measurement zealots who just quote measurement figures. Measurements are not music. Music is emotion and how we feel during its replay. No measurements can tell us that.

advertisement

Back