advertisement

Croft Chassis Screws

Lavantha

pfm Member
Hope this is right spot for this topic.

I purchased a used Croft RIAA Phono preamp which arrived today. One of the chassis Philips screw heads was stripped. It was put in finger tight so could be readily removed but would like to source replacements. Could anyone confirm the size of these chassis screws and possibly where to source replacements? I reside in British Columbia.

Thank you.

Chassis screws?
If holding what might be called the chassis to the enclosure/case, they are self-tappers, and would not be seen. From your description, a machine/set-screw or bolt and nut seems unlikely.
Do you mean screws holding the case together? If so, it all depends on the age/design as there have been at least 3 different types of case - at least one cream and at least two different black ones. This would seem most likely as they would be the only ones likely to have been removed repeated times. If the screws you mean are set-screws (parallel thread - bolts with other than hex heads), has the thread been stripped in the female part? (You can check this by using a similar screw from elsewhere in the case, and trying it for fit.)

A pic' would be helpful, or a better description. They won't be anything exotic, so ought to be easily available.

Last edited:
Chassis screws?
If holding what might be called the chassis to the enclosure/case, they are self-tappers, and would not be seen. From your description, a machine/set-screw or bolt and nut seems unlikely.
Do you mean screws holding the case together? If so, it all depends on the age/design as there have been at least 3 different types of case - at least one cream and at least two different black ones. This would seem most likely as they would be the only ones likely to have been removed repeated times. If the screws you mean are set-screws (parallel thread - bolts with other than hex heads), has the thread been stripped in the female part? (You can check this by using a similar screw from elsewhere in the case, and trying it for fit.)

A pic' would be helpful, or a better description. They won't be anything exotic, so ought to be easily available.

You are correct Vinny it is one of the small black screws which holds the case together and was removed to view tubes. It is the hex (philips) head of the screw that has been stripped not the female section. It is likley a latter Croft model (SN7162).

You are correct Vinny it is one of the small black screws which holds the case together and was removed to view tubes. It is the hex (philips) head of the screw that has been stripped not the female section.

That is good news!!
Although hex and Philips are not exactly the same........................ (actually not even close LLLOL).
Personally, I would change them all to allen/hex-key blacked button heads (in fact any allen head version) as the head won't strip. That said, if it is the version that I think it is, they screw into an aluminium extrusion that forms the corners/edges of the case, back to front, so they will strip the thread in the extrusion very easily as they are steel that screws into aluminium.

The one here is M5 x 10, but there MIGHT be different versions. They cost peanuts, and as an insurance against poor female threads in what has been used so far - try M5 x15 - you can always cut them shorter, but never cut anything longer.

They only need to be just nipped-up, not have massive torque applied. (In mine, they are left out all the time - the cosmetics of the front panel bothers me not at all and there are no wee fingers here to be tempted to investigate. The top (grill) of the case provides a screen from radiated interference - try it without the top in place and you will see what I mean, if your version is anything like mine.......................)

A superb pre' - broadly the same circuit as an EAR- enjoy!!

Last edited:
Yes I'll measure them. Thanks again Vinny and will try the phono as you've suggested. I was very excited to get this piece as very rare in these parts.

advertisement

Back