advertisement

[WTD] Croft 25R (Line or phono)

The Bish

pfm Member
Hi all,

If anyone has a Croft 25r that you're looking to move on, I'd be interested in buying it. If it's of interest I have a Croft RIAA-R with some nice Glenn upgrades (PIO caps, upgraded PSU etc which I could include in a swap deal if it is a phono pre that is offered.

Thanks, Bish

Really odd..........................................

The pic's of the rear panel clearly show a phono input and the internal pic' show the most unbelievably basic vale pre' including phono valves.................... and yet the seller says no phono......................

Maybe check what is going on before buying?

Really odd..........................................

The pic's of the rear panel clearly show a phono input and the internal pic' show the most unbelievably basic vale pre' including phono valves.................... and yet the seller says no phono......................

Maybe check what is going on before buying?

This is the standard layout for a 25R Line preamp. The single valve is for the line stage, the others are related to the power supply.

This is the standard layout for a 25R Line preamp. The single valve is for the line stage, the others are related to the power supply.

An illustration of just how many variants Glenn produced. The great majority did/do use an ECL85 in the PS though, with or without other valve(s).
Odder though is that there are phono connectors on the back, labelled phono, which are connected, and that the selector on the front also shows phono. Presumably actually just another line input, perhaps intended for an SUT/head amp'?
Looking at it now, the two empty holes/positions on the extreme left of two aluminium brackets are where a two valve MM stage would usually be.

Slightly unconnected, but Glenn made some Micros using Russian valves, but I have never noticed one come up for sale. As the pin-outs are different to western valves, they would have to be modified to take anything but Russian valves. Maybe he didn't make that many?

Yeah, the empty holes are where the MM valves go in the phono version, and yep the phono input on this one is just another line input. This was the standard config of the regulated 25r models from around 2012, appreciate that the micro designs were many and varied prior to then but in the last 10 years the design and build for the standard products stayed consistent.

advertisement

Back