Votes: 10 32.3%
  • Naim Nait 5si

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • another variant

Votes: 10 32.3%

• Total voters

Peter Leo

Bird is the Word
Hello! At the beginning of the year I was sincerely looking for the perfect English sound, my reference points were Harbeth and Graham. But the concept of three-way speakers took me much further. ATC SCM50 and higher were too expensive and I decided on a DIY project. Since I myself do not understand much in the intricacies of building speakers, I turned to a proven master. Based on my sketches and drawings, the wizard built three-way speakers based on Scan-Speak Revelator speakers (87 dB, 8 ohms). Now I'm looking for a boost for these beauties. My budget is up to 2.5 thousand dollars for a new device. The main options are Creek Evolution 100A, Hegel H120 and Naim Nait 5si. If you have any thoughts on a good amplifier, advise.

The Creek is as good as a Nait XS2, let alone a Nait 5si! I know, having owned both. Very capable and musical amps indeed. I’d be very interested to hear about the Hegle from anyone though?

As for another variant, I’d go with the Cambridge Audio Azure 851A.......just awesome! And usually available on a deal for Nait 5si money......it bettered both the XS2 and the Creek 100A

If you’re looking for an English sound I would look at the selection across Britain. Rega, Sugden, Leema, Meridian etc. New or second hand. Just an idea.

......it was incredible and in fact, I’d go a step further with Cambridge Audio, it was in Supernait 2 territory in all seriousness.

I am interested in this too. Likely I will go for a rega elicit r but I am interested in Hegel also. I reckon though the amp in the 120 would be outperformed by the Elicit. If comparing Hegel vs naim 5si or elex though I think the Hegel would be better from what I have read. Not familiar with Creek, though I understand they are well regarded.

As for another variant, I’d go with the Cambridge Audio Azure 851A
Regarding Cambridge Audio 851, I am confused by the Stereophile review and the many negative reviews about the quality of this firm's products. Plus, Cambridge amps are built in China, unlike Creek and Naim. Unfortunately, Hegel is also in China.

the question is flawed . its what sounds best in your system that matters . you might find a 500 pound integrated that beats a more expensive one . its just some have added features like bulit in dacs like the hegal that attracts folks

at the scalford show once a cambridge amp was beautiful in a system , there are many like the quad vena 2 and others . without trying them you won`t know whats best for your ears and preferences

Nait for rock and jazz and Hegel for acoustic music and folk.
I don’t know much about today’s Creek as I am in an area where there is no dealer so can’t listen to it and after sales service would be a problem.

Oh, I see. Big powerful woofer here.
This will make the choice of amplifier even easier as these woofers go so low and deep in the bass register that any of the mentioned amp will work fine anyway, it’s just a matter of personal taste.
I am a big Naim fan but with such a big woofer I would maybe go for the Hegel as it’s a bit more natural/neutral IMO.

As has been stated above, nobody can tell you what you would like.
What can be useful is feedback about operation, reliability, finish and so on.
Try and find out what actual owners have to say. Actually, you have! Owners, help the man out.

As has been stated above, nobody can tell you what you would like.
What can be useful is feedback about operation, reliability, finish and so on.
Try and find out what actual owners have to say. Actually, you have! Owners, help the man out.
yes, I agree. It would be nice if the owners shared information about the reliability and operating nuances of these amplifiers.

naim is beautifully built , easy to sell on . solid easy to use remotes . they tend to have separate dacs as after the sn1 which had a integrated dac they took it oiut of the sn2 and sn3 . you do read of issues sometimes with hum and earth loops but most people seem to get over that . i loved my sn2

hegel are very popular and certianly the 390 has been getting trremendous reviews , it has a built in dac . not seen any problems with reliability issues on forums . I do personally get very confused by all the different models and pricing s/h is very very varied . they sell quite fast s/h . Alan Shaw has used them a number at shows with harbeth speakers for several years

advertisement

Back