advertisement

Creek CAS 4040 S2

START

start
Hi everyone, I came to this forum browsing to try to "heal" my old CREEK CAS 4040 S2 amplifier, which I purchased in 1988. It has always worked well and I am still very satisfied today, it is a real gem of the technique. It sounds better than most other higher end amps. Unfortunately the "input" button of the phono and CD are not pressed. I'm locked in the house for the Corona Virus and so I'd like to fix it. Anyone help me? I would like to know if it is possible to repair the keys or to replace them? If I have to replace them, where can I buy them? Thanks to everyone who will answer me. A cordial greeting to all. And remember .... together we will make it ... down with the Corona Virus. START (sorry for my English!!!)

Welcome to Pink Fish! I had the moderators move your thread from the DIY Classifieds (for sale) room to here where it will hopefully get more attention. I don't have any experience of the 4040s2 but I'm sure that someone else will come up with some answers for you. I know it's not particularly helpful in the current coronavirus situation but you could consider buying another 4040s2 or, even better, a 4140s2 as they don't cost much money, you could then use or sell the broken one for spares. Your English is excellent by the way. Good luck,

Malcolm

I had a similar problem with a Creek tuner I repaired and here are some possibilities :

-1 : The mechanisms of the push buttons might be stuck because of dust accumulation. If this is what you have to deal with, a few sprays of contact cleaner with silicone and forcing the contacts to go back and forth several times will do the job. This situation is rather rare though.

-2 : The other possibility is that the plastic push buttons are rubbing against the front panel of the amplifier. If this is your situation, you just have to lose the screws holding the front panel on the amplifier frame and re-center the rectangular holes with the push buttons and then tighten the screws. This is the most probable situation and very easy to repair.

Thank you very much for your answers (Misterc6 and Gervais Cote). The input button does not remain pressed.
After being pressed the button returns to the "off" position and therefore does not allow input.
Sorry, I wanted to make this clarification to be sure I have exposed my problem well. Thanks again. I look forward to further advice.
A warm greeting to all .... and .... everything will be fine ....Start

Hi there @START,

The disc, tuner, and cd press switches are mechanically dependent i.e. linked within. Chances are that the tuner button hasn't released which would prevent either of disc or cd from latching. I suggest pressing the tuner button fully in and then letting your finger slide off the button such that it pops back on the spring, hopefully causing the latch to shift. At the same time as you release tuner, try pressing disc or cd in order to help trip the latch.

Good luck, and happy listening.

P.S. One tip for keeping these working long-term is to leave all three in the out position when not using the amp. This allows the individual switch springs to maintain tension. When the press switches are working properly, a half push in on one of the 'out' switches will cause the 'in' switch to unlatch and leave the half pushed switch 'out' too.

Last edited:
Hi, thanks for your advice. I will try and then let you know.
Thanks again. Sincerely. START

advertisement

Back