advertisement

Credos to SBL - A good idea ?

CHE

pfm Member
Currently running Credos actively via an Ixo and 2 x NAP140s. Always wondered if active SBLs would sound better.

Any experience out there of this change ? If so, what version of SBL should I be looking for and what problems should I look out for when buying ?

CHE

I should add I've just sold a lovely pair of Mk2s and still have an equally lovely pair of Mk1s that were upgraded by Naim to Mk2 drivers when they came out.

Indistinguishable to my ears, but I understand non-upgraded Mk1s are definitely not as quite as good. Never heard such beasts myself so will leave for others to comment on stock Mk1s.

Hi CHE!

I've gone that same way years ago and - honestly - never looked back. The SBL is a often critisized speaker, but in reality the SBL just wants a nice solid wall behind it, and not too much furniture beneath them. You may have read that already.

The only thing to worry is a broken gasket as you'll have to silicon' top and bottom togehter to seal them.

This helped me: http://www.sbls.co.uk/
I've MK2 SBL and don't know if MK1 are inferior.

Best regards, Hubert

I haven't heard the credos either, but they'd have to be somewhat awesome to match a well played pair of SBL's.

I had a pair of Intros a long time ago, they have things in common with the Credo, last year I had SBLs and had them both passive and active.

I'd say a pair of SBLs would be a far better speaker.

I should add I've just sold a lovely pair of Mk2s and still have an equally lovely pair of Mk1s that were upgraded by Naim to Mk2 drivers when they came out.

And by an amazing coincidence, I've just bought a lovely pair of Mk2s :D:D:D to replace my Kans.

However they're still in their boxes.....as I haven't finished painting the room that they're going into :(

I think Credos are under rated. Personally I would buy a pair of SBLs then see if you think they are significantly better.

Good man, I look forward to hearing how they are for you.

If Kans had bass and didn't "shout" they'd be SBLs.........I think the seals survived the A3! :D:D

Duh....they sound even better when I get the NAC/Flatcap/PA wired up the right way.....buqqer, a whole evenings listening wasted, I'll have to do it all again!:D

Funny, I did some comparisons a year or so back with all the usual suspects and they have an awful lot in common; both drivers and presentation.

I had Kans MK I & II, Saras & SBLs, I settled on the SBLs but did like the Saras.

Pretty much ever since and through some KEF LS50s & Epos ES14s I had a hankering for the Kans.

And that's what I have today, get them right and well, not much else will do.

I've heard Intros and Credos and been underwhelmed by both. I run active SBLs and they're great but:

There's no denying they are a pain to site and assemble

If there are any acoustic problems in your room, like bare wood floors, the treble will chop your head off.

www.sbls.co.uk is a good start, but it was written by iGary who is a chef. So like every cookbook I've ever read, it's a bit short on detail. If you do decide to go for them, let me know and I'll try to help.

Thanks for the replies; all very useful thanks

My listening room has a concrete floor and solid stone walls so I assume this will help SBLs.

I guess the problem is finding a good pair - anyone have any they want to sell ?

CHE

Thanks for the replies; all very useful thanks

My listening room has a concrete floor and solid stone walls so I assume this will help SBLs.

I guess the problem is finding a good pair - anyone have any they want to sell ?

CHE

Just keep and eye out in the classifieds - or stick a wanted ad there. Be patient, they do come up every few weeks.

Often on eBay - but you know the risks....

advertisement

Back