advertisement

Crazed guitar splurges

I think it's Larry Coryell doing the solo at 5:36. I always suspect Robert Fripp had it in mind when he did "The Sailor's Tale"

And then there's this one @ 1:03 which I always thought as a post-punk piss-take of the Wishbone Ash twin guitar assault.

And another early example. Kicks off at about 1:00 until 1:57
That's the great free jazz guitarist Sonny Sharrock, not Larry Coryell, playing at 5.36 on that Herbie Mann track - they were both on that session, there's a great photo of them all in the studio on the back of the LP sleeve. Surprise choice for a Herbie Mann session, but much respect to whoever invited him, he really makes that record.

That's the great free jazz guitarist Sonny Sharrock, not Larry Coryell, playing at 5.36 on that Herbie Mann track - they were both on that session...

I'd always thought Sharrock played the first bluesy solo, but thanks for putting me right. Stonking solo, nevertheless.

That Herbie Mann track is superb!

Sad to say I have not heard of him and have nothing....but may look to buy a copy now!

NRBQ is a somewhat obscure American band and their first guitarist Steve Ferguson was great. His into to "Flat Foot Flewzy" was the benchmark the band set when seeking a replacement: Anyone filling his role had to be able to nail it. "Big Al" Anderson did just that. Someone wrote an essay about this amazing guitar lick. (strangely the thumbnail used on the YT video is not the album on which this track appears. That would be "Carl Perkins and NRBQ: Boppin' the Blues", which I highly recommend.)

And the story of these few seconds is here.

https://main.oxfordamerican.org/item/1389-nrbq-flat-foot-flewzy

Fantastic version of Silly Love Songs from the Red House Painters album Songs for a Blue Guitar:

Make Like Paper has its moments as well:

There used to be a great guitar thread on the (old) Wigwam. This is really good one. The guitar bit starts at 2:15 if you want to fast forward

The 'recorded in a cardboard box' vibe really helps the guitar on this. I bet it wouldn't be half as wild if recorded properly...

I like to post this several times a year. Is one of the best guitar things ever. From 3:00 for about a minute and a half. Fantastic tone and magical playing. We are lucky that the Age of YouTube gives us instant access to all this goodness.

Maybe too mainstream for this eclectic crowd but IMO Eddie Van Halen's solo on Michael Jackson's Beat It is just about the most perfect guitar solo. Technical wizardry that fits perfectly into the surrounding pop song and never outstays its welcome. From 3:10 onward.

Not sure if counts as a "splurge", but the last couple of minutes of David Gilmour's Murder, from his About Face album rocks my boat.

I'd always thought Sharrock played the first bluesy solo, but thanks for putting me right. Stonking solo, nevertheless.
I’ve just been listening to a lot of early Larry Coryell and I think you were right, that’s him and not Sonny Sharrock. My bad.

loads of guitar splurges all over the early Coryell albums.

advertisement

Back