advertisement

Crank calls

I go a few weeks with none,then get bombarded with numbers starting with 00,I used to sometimes egg them on but now leave the answerphone on all the time and they generally disconnect once the message kicks in.

If I can be bothered, and the automated system lets me, I talk to the call operator and politely tell them it is an illegal call and they're getting reported to the ICO, which I then do. It's a bit of time out of my day but if they can be bothered to spam me then I'll help take them down.

Loads of the BT calls threatening that my internet will be cut off tomorrow over the last fortnight.

BT appear to have offices all round the world.

Had a call yesterday asking for one of my old aliases, Mr Fido; haven't had one of those for 5 years.

Unless I recognize the number, I let it go to the answerphone. If it's important, they will leave a message. I have BT, which is not the cheapest, but their spam call filter takes care of many.
That's exactly what I do, also I block the numbers so they don't keep ringing back. Although in theory legislation should stop the real cranks, a lot of the calls I get are actually Barclaycard/BT/Halifax all of whom are apparently allowed to call me as I have accounts with them. I still don't answer though!

Fake BT emails account for a lot of my email junk too, but they're relatively easy to spot as they don't have the correct account number in them - for these I have an Outlook rule set up to dump them.

As well as BT calling me to tell me my cable connection was to be disconnected I have had Ofcom call me to tell me they have an offer to make my internet go faster.

So I play along - what is the leftmost key on the keyboard (sadly they have caught on that there is a different keyboard on the Mac). It would not be so bad if they spoke in a clear concise English accent (or even a mild Scottish one) but the poor quality line from the Phillipines or whereever is most offputting. If they want to chat they have to be much clearer

I've had th but one as well, thank Christ for that it's too expensive, that throws them as well. No I'm not with but.

It may be a coincidence, but since we got our current dog 2 years ago, we haven't had any nuisance calls on the landline. Mind you, we haven't had any calls on the landline, because she chewed through the cable and we haven't bothered to replace it yet.

I get one fairly regular call on my mobile, from a Bristol number. Automated. I just ignore it. Has been reported to the ICO.

I had the, apparently, TPS ring me up the other week saying it was now a paid service. Went the way of all the other crank calls. I do seem to be getting them daily at the moment.

Because I've fought providing my cell number to practically all businesses I rarely get a spam call. It's amazing how many of those required phone number things work wonderfully with fake numbers.

Because I've fought providing my cell number to practically all businesses I rarely get a spam call. It's amazing how many of those required phone number things work wonderfully with fake numbers.
Indeed. I pity the poor sod whose telephone number actually is 01234 567890

I receive at least one a day but I run my own business and my landline and mobile number are easily available to anyone.

I never answer the mobile (my landline is permanently diverted to my mobile) to unknown or dodgy looking number in fact I only answer my mobile to numbers saved in my phone.

I have not used the landline for calls for a few years now. And on my mobile, if the call does not present a name from my phone contacts whilst ringing, it does not get picked up. And there is no voicemail option either.

We generally get a couple a day but my in laws (in a granny flat) get around 10 and they even use a call blocker device where you press a red button. Does not seem to slow the call rate down though. They are in the their 80's and my FIL has dementia, I get little notes from them saying they are being taken to court, or need to insure their sky box (they don't have the sky account, I do) and some get quite aggressive according to my MIL. Very frustrating for me as they get quite distressed by them and no matter how much I say they are scams they still seem to get worked up about them.

Useless on two counts.
It excludes any calls from outside the UK
And
Many don’t give a toss.

I registered years ago.
I still get several Chinese phone calls a week.
Block the number but they just change it.
I also get regular phone calls about my car accident.
I’m afraid I no longer bother doing anything with these other than give them a mouthful and hang up.
I don’t care that they are underpaid phone jockeys doing their masters bidding.
They are trespassing scum bags.

Useless on two counts.
It excludes any calls from outside the UK
And
Many don’t give a toss.

I registered years ago.
I still get several Chinese phone calls a week.
It works, within the limits you mention. You’re receiving calls from overseas because the scammers know the TPS has no legal reach there. You’re also receiving calls from scammers because they don’t care about the law. But I bet you don’t receive any others. In that respect it has served its purpose because law abiding companies don’t do this any more. So you can assume any such call you get is a scam and deal with it accordingly.

advertisement

Back