advertisement

Cracking/Popping...what could be the source?

Hi,
Has anybody ever tried using Ferritrings
FerritX17.jpg
to get rid of these disturbances?

A friend claimed it helped him and I thought it should be possible to simply attach them somewhere. Anyone ever tried this?

Hi all,
I still have this problem with the occasional pop. Well, it's not that occasional anymore. It's random, but on a daily bases.
They are mostly heard in the evening, but then most of the time in front of the system is in the evening.
The pops differ in intensity. Some are very mild and can only be heard of the system is on but on an extremely low volume.

I think, generally, the pops mainly occur when the system is actually not on standby but actually turned on. It needn't play anything but simply not be in standby.

I can't find and hence cannot fight the source IF it really is the mains.

None of you think it could be a preamp or poweramp problem, right? Although I never noticed this until a few weeks after installing the dedicated spur. Could this be due to a device being damaged or could somehow the dedicated spur be the problem? Maybe less no other gear on the same spur that would "filter" out the current or voltage peaks before they reach the system?

Is there some kind of simple filter or some cheap product I could at least use for say, a week, just to see if the problem is resolved and it is actually the mains and not an amp or the preamp. Maybe even something simple that would not influence the sound?

Thanks,

Alex

Alex,
Your interference could be mains or air borne and your fridge/freezer/washing machine would be prime candidates.(as boiler etc has been eliminated) A worn thermostat on a fridge say, would produce an nice arc on switching...... producing mains borne and air borne rf interference.
A simple suppressor fitted to the identified suspect device (comercially available) would be a short term fix.
Also if you take a battery operated radio that is not tuned into a particular station ie static,you maybe able to establish and pick up any 'cracks' that are air borne.
Apologies if I am teaching you how to suck eggs !

Ray

yes the fridge was what i was thinking
a few years ago i got a new monitor...and it had a screen flicker and lines...after phoneing the monitor helpline they sent a new screen
it done the same thing...untill i realised that when the microwave in the kitchen was on it was making the screen have the interferance :(

the ferite rings or supresors may help if its mains born clicks you are pickin up

You are limited by the incoming mains quality, no matter how many spurs you have if the source is external you will still have poor mains. I solved a lot of issues by using a Lynwood mains cleaner ...I don't even get the fridge compressor pop now, added to that its filtering effects have improved the dynamics and depth of the stereo image.

Hmmm. I have obeserved a cracking/popping sound when the fridge came on once, but it's not every time. And it also seems to be caused by other equipment also (maybe not even only in my apartement).
Yesterday I disconneted all "electrical" cables from devices which are not on the dedicated spur (subwoofer, VCR and satellite receiver are on the ordinary mains spurs). I need to see whether this solves the problem. Maybe it's not the mains through the dedicated spur but through the rest of the spurs and they cause an electrical impulse in one of the devices which are connected to the Naim system. If the cracking and popping where to dissapear I could maybe just buy some kind of power-filter and put it in front of the socket which supplies VCR etc.

Alex,
The cracking / popping you are hearing is usually generated by the switching of an inductive load.....motor,heating element etc.(more prominent when switching off ).So I would be surprised if it was VCR etc.but having said that a longshot would be a mains filter capacitor breaking down (prior to completely failing).

Ray

Well, I am basically using three wall sockets on two spurs. Into each wall-socket I have plugged a multiple socket lead thing.
One spur is my new dedicated spur which only supplies Naim components (CDI/AV2/NAP200/NAPv175).
The second spur in use is the living and bedroom spur. Until yesterday I use a double wall socket to supply both television/subwoofers in one and dvd/vcr/3xsatellite/scart-switch in the other socket.

1 satreceiver, vcr and subwoofers are connected via RCA cables (the satreceiver uses a coaxial cable...obviously RCA plug). So if the problem is being caused by a source inducing some kind of current or maybe voltage/earthing issue through a connection cable, then it mus be one of these.

So, my first step was to remove all three. I heard no plopping for 24 hours (which doesn't mean anything as it is not reproducable but appears randomly...hence it might have just been luck).
Then I plugged in the subwoofers and watched two episodes of CSI:NY on DVD and the two Kill Bill movies on DVD. Plus some oridnary TV. No pops either.
Now, I should have given this more time but I had another idea.

I had used a double wall socket for tv/subs and vcd/dvd etc. which I didn't a few months ago. So I left the tv/subs in one socket and used a different socket (same spur but about 3.5m away) for the rest of the system.
I have now plugged all the components back into the AV2 to see whether this might cure it (if not, I'll unplugg all but the subwoofer again and start from here again).

The idea came to me, because with my previous AVR I got a humming from my subwoofers. I found that although the systems were on these two sockets (3+m apart), some component still made the subwoofer hum. I managed to cure this by simply adding another 1.5m extension cable to the multiple socket lead. Adding this extra 1.5m to the length of the "earth" seemed to cure it. So I thought, maybe getting the two multiple socket leads apart again would solve my problem.
I only had about 20min to try yesterday but I will try and monitor the system today.
If nothing pops, I'll give it until Tuesday to remain quiet before I belive in a cure.

Cracking/Popping...what could be the source?

At a guess I would say that it is probably a dirty or scratched record that is causing the problem. :D

Not a funny issue :grumble: ;)

I connected all the cables again and I think I heard a popping sound this afternoon. Can't say for sure, but I think I did. So I pulled the VCR/satreceiver cable again. So far, nothing.
So I will leave the coaxial satreceiver and the subwoofers connected and if no pops occur until Tuesday, I will plug in the VCR again and wait. Should I hear a popping sound within three days, the source is kind of found (unluckily 2 satellite receivers run through the scart socket of the VCR, so all three devices could be the cause).

Crackling and popping can also be caused by faulty devices. It's a classic symptom of a 'noisy' semiconductor, but if it were this I'd expect it to change with temperature (usually worse when warm).

The good old can of freezer spray is good for lcoating such things.

It's more likely electrical though, from your description.

Andy.

I have found it to be caused by the mains, but are yet to figure out whether the dirty mains affect my dedicated spur or only the normal mains rings. If the latter, I need to find which device is "transmitting" this noise to my AV2. So far DVDP and VCR seem to transmitt it. Need to see whether the subwoofer does or maybe the system itself on the dedicsated spur is.
But I have found that one device I can almost reconstruct it with is the dishwasher. It sucks 8-9A everytime it is running. Unfortunatly I don't want to turn it on just to check the system. So next test-run is scheduled for tomorrow...*note-to-self* I must eat more and get more dishes dirty! ;)

OK, seems that when the dishwasher starts heating the water (8-9A consumption...measured it), I get a popping sound in my speakers. So there is something I think I can reproduce with. I hope. At least it did the last two times.

So, now I have found that
1. VCR seems to cause the popping sound when connected to av2 (rca)
2.satellite receiver causes pop when connected to av2 (coax)

Today I turned on the dishwasher and had nothing connected that was not on the dedicated spur->no popping!
So tomorrow morning (when the dishwasher is full enough to waste water and electricity) I will hook up the subwoofer and test whether this also creates the popping sound. If it does, then I will have to figure out a way to protect these two wall sockets. If not, I will only have to take care of the one supplying VCR and satellite. So lets hope the subwoofer is immune :)

advertisement

Back