advertisement

Cowboy Carter

Some good songs / tunes. Quite a few ho hum. As with most albums now, far too long. Would have made a much better listen if well edited. Thankfully Roon allows me to do that for myself. Not really that much that screams country at me.

For me her high watermark was when she played Etta James unless I’ve remembered wrongly. I’ll try CC later.

Heard a few tracks. Found it really dull. And the version of Blackbird is pretty terrible. Overcooked yet underdone. A lot of people hailing the album as a masterpiece but there’s a definite bang of emperor’s new clothes about this. I’ll give it another go but I have a suspicion first impressions may last.

The Wife bought a copy of the c.d. and this is our first listen.

bit too much production going on for my ears. Not my kind of Beyonce, I loved Lemonade and Renaissance is fun/dancey, but this sucks.

If it had been really stripped back with no overdubs then maybe…
Wife likes it but agrees about the overproduction.
Blackbird & Jolene are borderline reportable crimes.

Beyoncé - Cowboy Carter album cover
More images

Label:Parkwood Entertainment – 19658899642, Sony Music – 19658899642
Format:CD, Album, Limited Edition, "Blonde" (Red) Cover
Released:29 Mar 2024

To put my Beyoncé view in perspective (other than my earlier post) I sat in a modern Mercedes 4-seat convertible maybe 5 years ago waiting to collect my car from service at a nearby place with a smug salesman giving it the big one in his attitude. Whe I said it’s been a long time, I was curious and they’ve really changed it was licence for bullsh*t to which I replied yes but how can I put this, it’s all a bit Beyoncé and vagazzle isn’t it. He was speechless.

Wind the clock forward and I’ve been playing CC since yesterday on Amazon Ultra HD and like others, I have to say it’s superb. It’s got the anticipated street crime and booty but it’s varied, eclectic, original and if they sort out the full track listing I’ll buy it as a driving album.

It doesn't speak to me, she can't write a song to save her life and the bits that try to be clever fail spectacularly. I'll take fake country from a young Taylor Swift over this in the blink of an eye.

It’s good that we’re all different. If we weren’t and I’d been in charge the Smiths would never have got anything out of the studio as an example. Whereas others love them.

advertisement

Back