advertisement

Covid Oximeter

There are some on Amazon for about £15 which look fine. Most are probably clones made in the same factory.
I won’t link because I don’t want Tony to lose the click throughs.

Simon, Will a heart condition affect what is an acceptable result from an oximeter?

There are some on Amazon for about £15 which look fine. Most are probably clones made in the same factory.
I won’t link because I don’t want Tony to lose the click throughs.

I think the site automatically adds the PFM affiliate link to any Amazon URLs posted here.

fyi for more accurate oxygen readouts I have had the oxygen sat measued by a sensor clipped to my ear lobe and then monitored while I walk up and down the calibrated corridor for a set time.
re doctorf comments life would be wonderful if I could get a 96% reading consistantly.

When my asthma was bad my GP gave me one. Dunno where it is though, possibly at the office. I'll need to get a rapid test to go on site though......

All the Nurses on my daughters ward have been given pulseoximeters.

We have considered obtaining a device, but have decided against it.

If we were at risk or had a history of breathing issues then we might have got one. I discussed this with my daughter and we both agreed that there would be plenty of indicators of a C19 problem, and no reason to get a pulseoximeter.

They are a cheap, effective device. If the device helps to provide reassurance, then get one.
As previously stated, an accurate thermometer is essential.

Another reason I like having one is because I continually get asked Covid questions by friends and family, some of whom have had Covid.
One friend was becoming quite breathless after about 10 days, but I was somewhat reassured with her oxygen sats at 98% which dropped to 94% for a day or two and then went back to 98%.

I dissed the cheap blood pressure testers, especially when OH got one.

Then i went to the doctor.

It was correct and my BP is now about half what it was 7 years ago.

ii bought a £29 Oxymeter from Amazon, i was being checked up at the GP 's for my pulmonary issue and we checked my oxymeter againsy tje two oxymeters in the consulting room, all three devces agreed with their readout values. Whether they would be consistant at the lower extremes of readings I do not know - if you are below say 80% then you should be doing more than looking at your oxymeter (I woould have thought)

I was also tempted to get a smart watch with the Blood Oxygen percent read out - not impressed - difficult to get the watch positioned correctely to get it give a reading and when it does it doees not appear to match my bog standard ex Amazon Oxymeter.
With blood oxygen levels below 80%, you’d be in dire straits, ambulance time!

Another reason I like having one is because I continually get asked Covid questions by friends and family, some of whom have had Covid.
One friend was becoming quite breathless after about 10 days, but I was somewhat reassured with her oxygen sats at 98% which dropped to 94% for a day or two and then went back to 98%.
I’m a severe asthmatic and have had pneumonia a few times, I’ve never seen my levels below 95%, my breathing has been frantic but I was getting the oxygen in. Just once my levels dipped into the mid 80s when I was a teenager, I can’t remember much about it, other than being cannulated and really not liking it. I can remember seeing the ambulance and the feeling of floating (being carried on a stretcher), but not the journey to the hospital. Next thing I can remember is my grandad holding my hand and I had an oxygen tube in my nose... I was okay from then on, but I’d had a severe asthma attack and had I been alone at the time, it’s very unlikely I’d be here to tell the story.

Thes gadgets are good for detecting when you are down to ~90, when there are major problems, but not so obvious

They're useful because, even if they're not that accurate (assuming they're at least within +/- 2%), they give a figure that is objective. Going by how ill you feel is subject to all sorts of other factors, not least how scared you are.

Steve,

To be fair, he has 300 years worth of medical advances under his belt so don’t beat yourself up about it.

And what amazing medical advances! Bones reattached Spock’s brain after it was stolen.

Joe

advertisement

Back