advertisement

Covid and ear problems

chartz

If it’s broke fix it!
Hi,
Hearing is really important in our hobby. I’ve always been very careful about them, always using plugs at concerts for example. I even bought AirPods Pro to use the ANC mode.

I had four jabs of Pfizer, and I had an appointment for my fifth shot this week… things turned out a bit differently though.

I’m experiencing Covid Omicron (South Africa variant). I was tested positive (the wife too) after a rough night on Tuesday. Heaven knows when and where we got it.

I’ve now a permanent and loud humming sound in the left ear, a bit like bad grounding noise, and a significant hearing loss in the right ear.
I can’t hear any bass sounds, everything sounding like AM radio.
Listening to any music is a resounding no-no (pun intended), it’s a nightmare.

I’ll probably consult my ENT doctor if the symptoms persist over the next couple of weeks.

Any similar experiences here from my fellow fishies?

Did you have issues with your ears before? I had excruciating ear pain when I had Covid, though was susceptible to earache before. Covid definitely has a knack of exposing any weaknesses or ailments that you may already have.

Covid definitely has a knack of exposing any weaknesses or ailments that you may already have.

Based on a sample size of two - agreed.

I had very minor arthritis in my right hip before - just a very, very occasional twinge before - it kept me awake for most of last night and does so to some extent, every night.
Weirdly, I suspect that the hip has affected my hearing - I can only sleep on my left side because of the hip and my right ear keeps getting blocked - wax normally exits your ears during sleep.

Cheers. In the meantime I feel like I’m driving an electric car again. No engine noise.
I also hope the tinnitus isn’t permanent. :(

Hi,
Hearing is really important in our hobby. I’ve always been very careful about them, always using plugs at concerts for example. I even bought AirPods Pro to use the ANC mode.

I had four jabs of Pfizer, and I had an appointment for my fifth shot this week… things turned out a bit differently though.

I’m experiencing Covid Omicron (South Africa variant). I was tested positive (the wife too) after a rough night on Tuesday. Heaven knows when and where we got it.

I’ve now a permanent and loud humming sound in the left ear, a bit like bad grounding noise, and a significant hearing loss in the right ear.

I’ll probably consult my ENT doctor if the symptoms persist over the next couple of weeks.

I have had Covid twice without too much drama, most recently a fortnight ago and before that a year or so ago. I put the lack of drama down to being fully vaccinated. I have developed tinnitus which began about a year ago, and til I read you post, it never occurred to me to think it might be related to Covid.
The tinnitus is not too severe - it’s like a white noise hiss at a low level and doesn’t stop me enjoying music ( listening to the Guilini Don Giovanni at the moment). I haven’t consulted anyone about it, having put it down to old age.
I hope yours improves and that seeing an ENT doc is productive.

Hi,

Me too, likened to listening to a 60’s transistor radio but mine started after earwax removal.

I do have a clogged ear sometimes because of a narrow Eustachian tube at right, but pinching my nose has always unclogged it easily.
Nothing in the left ear though.
The Earpopper is good for clearing blocked/narrow Eustachian tube, powerful, maybe too powerful first time you Pop, and a bit expensive. Vik Veer has some good content on his youtube channel.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005J6SF6Q/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Consult your ENT by all means but don't do anything otherwise. As you know, Covid Omicron affects the upper respiratory tract, and your sinuses, hearing, balance etc are connected in this system.

When I had a very mild bout of Covid, I noticed that my tinnitus had gotten worse but nothing too bothersome. It eventually cleared up in less than a couple of weeks.

I had Covid about 4 weeks ago. It was actually like a mild code, but 2 or 3 days in my hearing seemed to go super sensitive, but all mid to high frequency. Only lasted a week or so.
I hope your sorts itself out soon.

I had Covid about 4 weeks ago. It was actually like a mild code, but 2 or 3 days in my hearing seemed to go super sensitive, but all mid to high frequency. Only lasted a week or so.
This is comforting thanks. Ears still partially clogged this morning. Tinnitus still here too, in both ears this time but with different colours. Humming at left and Morse code hiss at right.
Sixties stereo effects.:p

I just knew Bill Gates was involved somehow.

advertisement

Back