advertisement

Couriers for audio equipment

jamwat

pfm Member
Hi All

Just wondering which couriers you all use when buying and selling your equipment

Thanks

UPS mostly, but sometimes Parcelforce and DPD. Book via an agent like Interparcel, Parcel2Go or ParcelMonkey to keep the cost down. For lightweight and small items I sometimes use Royal Mail Signed For and Special Delivery services.

UPS or DPD. I’ve also used Royal Mail for smaller parcels. Wrap in preparation for your parcel to be used as a football when it reaches the depot.

Royal Mail Special Delivery for items <10kgs, Interparcel/UPS for everything >10kgs.

The insurance makes courier delivery pretty expensive nowadays. Think it doubled from 2% to 4% of the item value. And then add VAT on top.

Just watch out for booking via Parcel2go as they only insure up to £200 damage to amplifiers or speakers.

"Amplifiers And Speakers - maximum parcel compensation value for damages is £200.00"

It's best to ALWAYS check as different companies have different get out clauses and I've noticed that going via a 3rd party booking agency the restrictions are sometimes a lot tighter than going via the courier direct, but then again courier direct can be a lot more expensive.

I use Royal Mail Special Delivery almost 100% of the time, yes it's much more expensive, but it's fast reliable and you can send packages to to 20kg and 61cm x 46cm x 46cm which covers a lot of HiFi gear. I like the fact that anything of value that I send is in transit less than 24hrs.

It also ensures that only the addressee can sign for it, which isn't the same with recorded delivery - anyone can sign for a recorded package, it doesn't even have to be the addressee.

Oh and if you can't drop your package from 1m height and have it survive, then you haven't packed it properly!

I generally use Parcel2go and choose UPS or TNT as the actual courier.

Royal Mail are good but are becoming hugely expensive. Never ever, ever use Parcel Farce!

Not sure about the Parcel2go compensation limit mentioned above either. Only yesterday I booked a shipment of £350 worth of amplifier with them and have insured it to full value.

Oh and if you can't drop your package from 1m height and have it survive, then you haven't packed it properly!

When I ran a print company I told my guys the best way to test their packing for work going abroad was to drop it off the mezzanine floor onto the concrete floor below. They usually got the point
:)
I tried it once and it did work

I use Royal Mail Special Delivery almost 100%

It also ensures that only the addressee can sign for it, which isn't the same with recorded delivery - anyone can sign for a recorded package, it doesn't even have to be the addressee.
Like the two times they delivered my packages to the wrong house which wasn’t even on the same street and let them sign for them and keep them!
Or the countless times they have put them in the wrong sack and delivered them with normal mail!
If you haven’t had any problems with Royal Mail you are in a very small minority

UPS via Parcel2go

Hundreds of parcels sent, never lost or damaged anything. Had something held up a couple of days in the recent snow but that's the worst in over 2 years of trading with them. I get a cracking service.

Stefan

Like the two times they delivered my packages to the wrong house which wasn’t even on the same street and let them sign for them and keep them!
Or the countless times they have put them in the wrong sack and delivered them with normal mail!
If you haven’t had any problems with Royal Mail you are in a very small minority
In over 20 years at same address I've NEVER had an issue with Royal Mail or their Special Delivery service.

Now if you're talking PARCELFARCE then that's a whole different subject, they are abysmal round here and I never ever use them even though they might be cheaper. :mad:

Whoever you use wrap to go through handling by lunatics.
No movement inside the sturdy box is essential

If you can’t feel comfortable dropping the box from shoulder height, it shouldn’t be sent. I tend to use huge amounts of bubble wrap including rolling cylinders of it into the corners.

Hi All

Just wondering which couriers you all use when buying and selling your equipment

Thanks
I have experienced problems with every courier service I have used, they are after all, transported by humans on a timer.
Pick anything, makes zero difference IME.

Cheapest & best after service is without doubt, Parcelmonkey using Parcelforce.
Second in line is direct with yodel, their after service is superb, though a little pricier.

If I was pushed, I would suggest Yodel, for safest delivery though most are fine 95% of the time.

The only guaranteed safe way is collection or delivery in person, otherwise you take your chances.

Someone recently sent something to me via Addison Lee.
Brilliant personal service but must have been a bit pricey. Rather like sending something via a taxi.

When I ran a print company I told my guys the best way to test their packing for work going abroad was to drop it off the mezzanine floor onto the concrete floor below. They usually got the point
:)
I tried it once and it did work
Once had a conversation with the guys at Celestion when they changed to corrugated cardboard packing for their speakers which I'd questioned. "Well, it survives the 2foot drop test" I was told and heard a little voice from a guy at the back say "Yeah! Once!". Never liked corrugated cardboard.
DGP

Cheapest & best after service is without doubt, Parcelmonkey using Parcelforce.

That's exactly what I did when sending something last week using Parcelfarce 24 service. PF initially sent it to the wrong distribution depot (according to their own tracking record). This caused it to be delivered a day late and due to this the recipient wasn't in. So instead PF left it with a neighbour 2 doors away but didn't leave a card to tell the intended recipient that they had done so. Having noticed this from the tracking record I had to ring the recipient to tell them where PF had delivered it so he could go and get it. Needless to say I won't be using PF again but I count my blessings that at least the recipient finally got it and it was intact.

I've never had a problem with DPD or UPS so far so that's who I'll be using in future.

advertisement

Back