advertisement

Counterpoint ? any one heard much in the past

Miss Ariel

pfm Member
I always remember hearing their SA 12 poweramp at the Cornflake shop in London around 1988 -89 time with A PS Audio preamp.
I think the SA 12 was valve and mosfet.
Really liked the sound of those amps.I think they where on the end of Roksan's Darius speakers with the stands fitted around the Darius cabinets.
Not looking to get or buy as I think Counterpoint are long gone as a company.
Loved the styling of their preamps
Just curious if any of you guys have much exposure in the past ?
Thanks

Still own SA 1000 pre and SA 100 amp. Haven’t had any issues (touch wood) though SA 100 is due for a service due to age.

Using them with Reference 3A MM.

Some of the preamps had RFI issues -but this may have been related to the fact that the dealer in my area was just on the edge of our local (always interesting) antenna alley. Owned a SA-12 (or was it a SA-20 -whatever was 200 WPC) for awhile (year or two?) and really liked it. Even though I no longer owned it after trading it in - I was PO'd when the next owner (a known local audio idiot) shorted speaker wires and now and forever blew out one channel. The problem with these is that the design requires very closely matched output transistors - these haven't been available for 15 or 20 years at this point. They are not forgiving of mistakes.Combined excellent dynamics and bass grip with really pleasant fatigue free high frequencies -IOW-sweet !

Audiophile,
That's what I thought about the SA 12 when I heard it on demonstration.Just so sweet sounding with great transients - Better than a Naim 250 which I was using at the time maybe it was the valve - mosfet combination but it certainly left an impression hence me posting this thread topic.

I was loaned a used SA-20 by a dealer for the weekend in the 80s . Lovely warm sound and pleasant to listen too . The speakers were snell c's and I compared them directly to a pair of audio innovations second 15 watt monoblocks which were also under consideration. Not surprisingly the seconds were bought ( I believe they were designed with the C's) . Despite the big power difference between the 2 amps the SA-20 sounded confused on complex orchestral music compared to the seconds which was my main musical diet at the time. On less complex music I did prefer the SA-20 .

advertisement

Back