advertisement

COUM & Throbbing Gristle on BBC4

Finally got around to watching this. Very good, though far too short/ambitious trying to squeeze such a huge story/legacy into just one hour (I’ve got the chunky Wreckers Of Civilisation book plus Cosey’s autobiography so have a fair idea just how much is missed out). Cosey especially is great, she interviews so well. Her book Art Sex Music is a real eye-opener.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Finally got around to watching this. Very good, though far too short/ambitious trying to squeeze such a huge story/legacy into just one hour (I’ve got the chunky Wreckers Of Civilisation book plus Cosey’s autobiography so have a fair idea just how much is missed out). Cosey especially is great, she interviews so well. Her book Art Sex Music is a real eye-opener.

Pretty much my thoughts on it.
I was amused to see an old friend had worked on it (he'd oddly not mentioned it)

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Haven’t watched this yet but BBC4 seems to be on a bit of a roll at the moment: there was that Delia Derbyshire thing a few months back, a great Brian Catling documentary a couple of weeks ago, last weeks’ Vasulka Effect…early Channel 4-type arts programming. Wonder what’s going on.

Last edited:
Ill educated on this subject/bands, must look up.
I think since sky arts came free, bbc 4 have realised how niche they’ve become and gone looking for a audience.

This gig at Oundle, a posh private school, is just a work of genius. It’s mentioned in the documentary. It’s a shame the footage is so grainy, but in some ways that helps preserve the utter other-worldly discontinuity of that band in that environment playing to a room of kids, some of whom it appears had booked TG to troll their music dept.

This is one of the other TG videos from that doc from the last TG gig in SF (some of the track made it in a shorter version on "Mission of Dead Souls"). The first time I saw this, although not the first TG I'd heard, it blew my ****ing head off - it shows how electronics can be loud and genuinely scary and something completely misunderstood by the whole Whitehouse / "Power Electronics" bol**cks.

The first time I saw this, although not the first TG I'd heard, it blew my ****ing head off - it shows how electronics can be loud and genuinely scary and something completely misunderstood by the whole Whitehouse / "Power Electronics" bol**cks.

I’d love to see a real deep-dive into their equipment and approach. Chris Carter certainly built a lot of kit (his ‘Gristliser’, lots of synth modules etc), and Cosey is always doing plenty. A lot of the really other-worldly unidentifiable noise is her very heavily processed guitar or trumpet, neither being played in a remotely conventional manner. They made a very decent racket.

We saw Chris Carter do a modular gig at Guildford University a couple of years back; supporting The Grid doing the same; to an audience of about twenty.
We were chatting with Dave Ball afterwards, where he described their set as Tangerine Gristle.

We saw Chris Carter do a modular gig at Guildford University a couple of years back; supporting The Grid doing the same; to an audience of about twenty.
We were chatting with Dave Ball afterwards, where he described their set as Tangerine Gristle.

Chris has form, tracks like "AB-7A" and "Walkabout" had more than a hint of TD / Ashra to my ears,

Watched it the other day. Very interesting. I remember reading about 20 Jazz Funk Greats in the NME back in 1979 and seeing the album in just a few record shops. Never heard it though.

advertisement

Back