advertisement

Could be a bargain?

As an aside, just in case anyone thinks I am heartless git, years ago I spotted a “record player” on eBay only a few miles from where I live. It was up for £50 as the seller had no idea what it was, as there were no identifying marks or badges on it.

After very briefly considering snapping it up, my conscience got the better of me, so I contacted the seller to tell her it was actually a Source turntable with an Alphason arm and not to let it go cheaply!

Someone had offered her £100 for it which she was close to accepting but she added the information I gave her to the auction and it sold for £800 or so, as I recall.

I bought one of these aeons ago.

As disassembled, the advert I spotted was written on a postcard inside a cabinet outside a news agent shop.

I paid £25 for it, it came complete with the unpivot fluid arm and stylus brush.

It only had 3 gold plated domes on the platter, once I got it together, it was a huge distraction seeing the gold platter TT spinning @ 33/3 rpm whilst listen to tunes.

I sold it on for £75, Ouch.

Its hard to feel bad for people that cannot be arsed to do a little research. They managed to set an ebay auction, take photos and upload them, so really no excuse.

I recall someone setting this argument for a national charity shop because I found a herman millar chair for 45 quid and snapped it up.

advertisement

Back