advertisement

Cost of Living Hifi

My main system doesn't really owe me anything.
Manticore Mantra/Rega 250/AT95mlRigB
Deck cost about 150 many years ago as did the cartridge, for 300 notes it's chuffing brilliant.
Meridian 506.24 2nd hand for under 500 also Fab.
Pre/power DIY
DAC DIY
Opera Mezza 2012 direct from old distributor during clearance sale at silly price.

Not only but also;
Teac 500 amp
Chromecast Audio
Kenwood Speakers ( surprisingly good )
Under 150 the lot.

You simply cannot pump free money into a system without causing inflation. That's the choice we made and the result we got. All governments around the world did this and the result was the same the world over. Every country that had a furlough scheme ended up with high inflation. Low interest rates have caused damage yes but our interest rates are not set by government and the fiscal crisis we ended up in that started this low interest rate period came off the back of the Labour government, so we can't really blame to Tories for it; there's plenty we might blame them for but this high inflation environment is not one of them.

For referene, I take most of my lead in economics from my best friend who is a macro-economist for a living.
Wholly inaccurate. Your friend, as with many, has been very selective with their data. Several countries did exactly this without any inflationary effect whatsoever. Several European countries also put in place way less than we did and yet suffered exactly the same levels of inflation. Perhaps stick to hard fact and do your own thinking. Inflation has been global and started with global supply chain distribution disruption allied to subsequent staffing shortages amid poor population health. Beyond that every country has their own inflationary factors but there is zero evidence furlough was one of them. All you’re doing is propagating right wing propaganda on the point.

You simply cannot pump free money into a system without causing inflation. That's the choice we made and the result we got. All governments around the world did this and the result was the same the world over. Every country that had a furlough scheme ended up with high inflation. Low interest rates have caused damage yes but our interest rates are not set by government and the fiscal crisis we ended up in that started this low interest rate period came off the back of the Labour government, so we can't really blame to Tories for it; there's plenty we might blame them for but this high inflation environment is not one of them.

For referene, I take most of my lead in economics from my best friend who is a macro-economist for a living.

A bit off topic this :) but!

So, Labour government from 15 year ago is to blame for inflation of last couple of years? That's a good one. Not, what was it called again, hm, Brexit, or the other thing, war and sanctions...

For the money pumping that could be related to inflation I would look elsewhere, not the furlough money, some people received instead of wages or salaries.

For reference, I have many friends with PhDs in economy.

Anyone got a system for the Cost of living crisis?

Oh and...MJA Pro 50 subwoofer £95.
Creates a bigger soundstage particularly good with jazz recordings.
I used one of those when they first came out in a field test for the manufacturer. I never liked subs, but was impressed by it and the ease with which it could perform as though it wasn't there.

I used one of those when they first came out in a field test for the manufacturer. I never liked subs, but was impressed by it and the ease with which it could perform as though it wasn't there.
Yes. An MJ Acoustic Pro 50 Mk1. 50 Watts with 8" drive unit and compact dimensions overall.
It works well on acoustic music with a big soundstage, but can easily be switched off it doesn't suit.

We will have to agree to differ on this.

Back on topic, my bedroom system cost £274 and for the money it’s superb:
  • Arcam Delta 60 amp
  • Arcam Delta 80 tuner
  • Phillips DVDR 70
  • Radford M90 speakers
  • QED 79 strand speaker cable

Wholly inaccurate. Your friend, as with many, has been very selective with their data. Several countries did exactly this without any inflationary effect whatsoever. Several European countries also put in place way less than we did and yet suffered exactly the same levels of inflation. Perhaps stick to hard fact and do your own thinking. Inflation has been global and started with global supply chain distribution disruption allied to subsequent staffing shortages amid poor population health. Beyond that every country has their own inflationary factors but there is zero evidence furlough was one of them. All you’re doing is propagating right wing propaganda on the point.
Well my friend runs her own £1bn investment fund so forgive me if I take her opinion and better informed than others on here.

A bit off topic this :) but!

So, Labour government from 15 year ago is to blame for inflation of last couple of years? That's a good one. Not, what was it called again, hm, Brexit, or the other thing, war and sanctions...

For the money pumping that could be related to inflation I would look elsewhere, not the furlough money, some people received instead of wages or salaries.

For reference, I have many friends with PhDs in economy.
I didn't say they were responsible for inflation, I said that the period of low interest rates we had came off the back of the financial crisis, which came off the back of the Labour government, not that I think Labour were to blame for this, far from it, they just happened to be in power when it happened. Someone else here attributed the low interest period as being responsible for the now high inflationary period and thus blamed the current government.

Someone else here attributed the low interest period as being responsible for the now high inflationary period and thus blamed the current government.
That was me! I feel the ultra-low interest rates over the last ten years have been ruinous but hey ho, we will not agree on this one. I still like ‘cheap’ hi-fi so we have that in common even if I do blame the Tories for all the wrongs in the world.

I have another econo system with an A&R A60, T21 tuner and a pair of Mordaunt-Short Pageant S2's with Stands; it’s a very nice radio system and probably cost me about £200.

My hi-fi has always reflected my lifelong cost of living crisis! Only in the last year or so did I splash out on the 600 GBP LS3/5As that are my most expensive single purchase ever. Yet I'm equally as happy with my slightly modified JPW Gold Monitors that can be had for lunch money. 🎶

My hi-fi has always reflected my lifelong cost of living crisis! Only in the last year or so did I splash out on the 600 GBP LS3/5As that are my most expensive single purchase ever. Yet I'm equally as happy with my slightly modified JPW Gold Monitors that can be had for lunch money. 🎶

Interesting, just today I mentioned in the other thread:

JPW Gold Monitor (bought for £25 to tide me over while my main speakers were being checked/repaired), replaced with P3ESR, but there really wasn't much in it.

Interesting, just today I mentioned in the other thread:
Pull the drivers out, throw in a good fistful of acoustic wadding, wedge a length of dowel between the side walls above the driver, hardwire the electrical connections if they aren’t already, & you have a pair of serious all-round contenders. ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Well my friend runs her own £1bn investment fund so forgive me if I take her opinion and better informed than others on here.
Gotta laugh. What on earth has that got to do with anything. Would you also prefer the opinion of others who are well off? Trump? Lord Sugar? Musk? Your friend is demonstrably factually wrong and has selected their data to fit their hypothesis. No amount of money changes that. It’s hard fact.

Ion Obelisk 2 £130
Rotel RCD855 £85
Dali Zensor 1 £99
Sansui SR222 mk2 £45
Retrieved and rebuilt my Akai 4000DS and found my old Rotel tuner in the attic and added those.
Second system in the hobby /model railway room, which also houses my collection of gramophones, an Edison phonograph and several valve radios. Oh and a bed!
Planning a proper model railway for the attic now I'm retired. Main system is as good as I need, so, I expect only to have a cartridge replacement in a couple of years or so. Of course if the main CD transport or DAC should go bang, I might need to replace. The rest can be repaired.

Hi all.

From a different perspective, at the start of last year, I picked stumps and moved all my stuff across two state boards and a distance of 2000 km. This put access all my stuff on hold including a substantial collection of vintage equipment on hold as it slowly made its way North behind me. In an act of desperation and a need for playing tunes in the new home I purchased a Yamaha_MCR-B370 CD receiver/mini system to fill the gap till the "Big Rig" arrived several months later.

I've got to say I was very pleasantly surprised at the performance for the cost. $500 Aus for a CD receiver and separate speakers with half decent speaker cable supplied in the box as well. It has good connectivity for an "all in one" including Toslink digital, Bluetooth and analogue inputs. The supplied speakers are pretty good with very reasonable bass extension given the size of the Bass driver and solidly built. It sounded amazing and is still in use entertaining me in the upstairs Study. The Amp also has enough welly to drive bigger speakers if you want to go down that path later on

PS My system didn't come with the Kitty, but he is kind of cute and obviously approves.

Yamaha_MCR-B370_by_ONmagFR-00004.jpg

My daughter asked for a truly tiny system.
We managed a Linn Knekt £31, Air Port Express 2 £22, A pair of Gallo Micro SE brand new for £134.
With the Knekt in a cupboard it is miniscule and sounds far better than it ought to.

advertisement

Back