advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XXIV

Can't help but think it's going to need a nastier variant combined with waning immunity before anyone in a position of power starts listening again, makes you wonder why we all bothered in 2020/2021 if this is the way they are going to behave over it now.

I've come to believe that it won't be in any of our lifetimes before these coronaviruses are benign.

How can we expect to beat this virus whilst half the world is still unvaccinated and our airports are packed with people travelling here there and everywhere?
We're not going to beat it, we need to come to terms with the fact we have to live with it.

Johnson told us the public didn't need laws and that they would follow the guidance

- wear a mask in "crowded and enclosed spaces where you may come into contact with other people you do not normally meet".

I'm afraid to say they do seem to need Laws in the absence of much stronger public messaging - any public messaging in fact, investment in ventilation and air filtration, available testing, sick pay etc etc. Indy Sage has been the only real source of reliable public information and analysis for some time now. SAGE itself no longer meets, there is no modelling that we know of and so the response is always reactive - let's watch the hospital beds fill up and hope for the best. Frankly, the situation is a disgrace!

I've come to believe that it won't be in any of our lifetimes before these coronaviruses are benign.

Unless research on a universal coronavirus vaccine is successful:
https://www.axios.com/2022/06/30/pfizer-universal-covid-vaccine-testing

There are several such efforts underway - so let's try to remain optimistic that one can be invented and then distributed worldwide.
BTW I share your frustration / disgust that talk of wider vaccine distribution has gone so quiet.

We need to come to terms with the fact we have to live with it.

Absolutely. But it's still very unclear what that means. Does that mean treating it as a bug like flu now that most people have been jabbed? Or should additional measures be put in place as Gav suggests?

I was surprised recently that a relatively sane friend with covid was considering going to a party. But in a sense his position wasn't a million miles away from the government's.

Unless research on a universal coronavirus vaccine is successful:
https://www.axios.com/2022/06/30/pfizer-universal-covid-vaccine-testing

There are several such efforts underway - so let's try to remain optimistic that one can be invented and then distributed worldwide.
BTW I share your frustration / disgust that talk of wider vaccine distribution has gone so quiet.

I see vaccines as a stop gap to buy time while humans evolve to become more immune. Hopefully, in the meantime, vaccines can become more effective at preventing serious illness, particulary in the elderly and the vulnerable.

UK health chiefs brace for ‘bumpy ride’ amid fears over Covid wave
Dr Jenny Harries says hospitalisations are set to exceed April peak in weeks ahead as infections soar

Health chiefs are braced for a “bumpy ride” over the coming months amid fears that the latest wave of Covid will drive hospitalisations to their highest in more than a year and seasonal flu pressures could hit early.

[I'm unconvinced because I don't believe there is capacity for many more than 2000 daily admissions based on the peaks from Jan and April being the same]

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ace-for-bumpy-ride-amid-fears-over-covid-wave

That takes many generations and involves the people with the higher risk genetics being removed by death from the gene pool

Careful now, with that sort of talk you’re likely to get an invitation to the Carlton club and a knighthood/seat in the House of Lords.

That takes many generations and involves the people with the higher risk genetics being removed by death from the gene pool

That is evolution and our increasing interference with this, whilst admirable on the one front, comes at a price. That is a fact.

Regards

Richard

Day 18(?).
Man this thing keeps on giving.
Catarrh and loss of smell continue.
Novel sympton of the last couple of days is cramp in left calf - I had a DVT there about four years ago so a bit of a worry. Just put on some Deep Heat and Ibuprofen gel.
Taking on unprecedented levels of fluid and still feel and show as being dehydrated.
Weird.

Day 18(?).
Man this thing keeps on giving.
Catarrh and loss of smell continue.
Novel sympton of the last couple of days is cramp in left calf - I had a DVT there about four years ago so a bit of a worry. Just put on some Deep Heat and Ibuprofen gel.
Taking on unprecedented levels of fluid and still feel and show as being dehydrated.
Weird.

Maybe all the fluids are flushing the salts out giving you cramp...

After having a scratchy throat, occasional cough & runny nose for the last couple of days this morning’s lateral flow was a faint positive line. I blame my mother, she was feeling Ill on Tuesday when I saw her but is still testing negative.
Pah! That’s the weekend written off then.
Negative tests for the last 2 days , but still feeling tired & washed out with zero motivation to do things. I've a film & a concert booked for later in the week. Hopefully they will perk me up.

advertisement

Back