advertisement

Cordless drill batteries

peterm

pfm Member
I've got a Makita 18v drill with 2 failing (but not yet dead) NiCad batteries and my brother in law has given me another one with 2 knackered batteries.

I've seen firms that will re-cell your old batteries but they seem quite pricey, especially compared with complete new batteries on ebay.

All the ebay ones seem to come from China, regardless of the ("UK") seller.

Anyone have any experience of either of the above solutions?

Yes, they are NiCads, they're at least 10 years old but the drill, and the torch that uses the same batteries (that's how they've lasted this long - I rotate them, one used infrequently in the drill swapped for the one that's in regular use in the torch when the torch gets dim), are both fine.

Being a tightwad, and originally from Yorkshire, I begrudge throwing the drill & torch away to buy new ones!

I've got 3 identical Bosch cordless strimmers as the battery failed in each of them, essentially due to lack of use and recharging. A genuine Bosch battery was more expensive than a full new cordless strimmer, but I did eventually get a cheaper replacement from a French website via eBay, and it has been fine.Unfortunately I can't find their name, but the battery is a Flylinktech and possibly available from this UK website. https://www.lionshome.co.uk/home-improvements-tools/flylinktech/

Check the label on the charger. I have a Makita that came with a Nicad. When it died, no Nicads were available, but the charger stated it also did Lithium, so just got a new Lithium battery, no problems.

I bought 2 12v Makita battery's for my drills/impact driver the red ones from eBay from a UK based seller they came quickly and work very well, I also bought two stick ones for my very old Makita 7.2v angle drill again I am very happy with them.

Petr

I bought some from HERE recently and they seem fine to me.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Thanks for the replies.

My charger (both of them) say they're for NiCad & Ni MH so either of those should be ok.

I think Li Ion batteries for Makita have changed to a different fitting.

All the batteries mentioned above appear to originate in China so I might give a couple of them a go.

Try www.BatteryUpgrade.co.uk

I have just ordered a Makita 12V LiOn for my old drill/driver. I replaced the original battery about 4 years ago (the drill is more than 20 years old now) and it is now not as good as it was - not holding charge for long. It was 2.1AH unit so I have ordered a new 3AH job from these guys and we will see. The charger manages all types of battery and several voltages too - so is pretty clever.

But they appear to carry a lot of stock of this sort of stuff.

advertisement

Back