advertisement

Copenhagen

Seanm

pfm Member
Thinking of spending a few days in Copenhagen over Easter. Always get good travel advice here. Any suggestions for nicest areas to stay?

We stayed in Nyhaven. Beautiful. Waterside, and plenty of bars and restaurants. 20 years ago now (gulp), but pretty sure it was this hotel

I went youth hostelling with my family back in 1972.... can't remember much except that the little mermaid is very little.

We had a thread about this a while back:
2015 thread
In addition to that:
The postcard is Nyhavn, but don't miss Fredriksholms Kanal and Christian IV's old brewery at the end of it.
There's a newish Opera house on the main canal, stylish.
Check out the Lakes, if you have time.
Generally a nice relaxed city, but very expensive, like most Nordic capitals: so in terms of where to stay, anywhere within walking distance of the sites mentioned where you can get a reasonable deal, maybe west or northwest of the old centre. Frederiksberg has some nice places IIRC.

There are a few hotels near the Tivoli Gardens. It's a convenient area and very near the railway station. The Gardens is a must. The Little Mermaid is quite a trek from anywhere and, as everyone we asked for directions told us, it's a lot smaller than you'd imagine.

Went just before Christmas for 3 nights with my wife, fantastic, the palaces and gardens are fantastic, and would definitely recommend the river cruise as well, we just didn’t feel we did it justice but love the scandi vibe. We just walked every where apart from the airport to the centre which was on the metro.

Don’t be put off.

I went for a long weekend a few years back and I remember that there are some fantastic food stalls in the Broens Gadekøkken food court and the Little Mermaid was spectacularly underwhelming!

I would also recommend giving Christiania a wide berth...

I found a couple of days enough to get a feel for Copenhagen. Fortunately Malmo is a 40 minute train ride away and is nice to visit for a day so combine visiting both and have a really good if not cheap time.

We went here for our honeymoon many years ago. Unfortunately that meant December. It was cold, and dark and miserable. The trip didn’t end well, but that’s not Copenhagen’s fault (no, nothing that dramatic - still very happily married!). Go when there’s actual daylight, and it’s a nice spot, but it’s expensive if you don’t have a way to self-cater! The Danes have put that burning and pillaging thing far behind them, and were universally friendly and helpful - most people we spoke to were surprised and pleased that we’d decided to come to their country for a holiday.

Unless you're an influencer who needs the picture for your Instagram, skip the Little Mermaid. It's a long way away, not that big, not very close to shore, and that shore is always mobbed by coach parties.

The Danish National Museum (on Ny Vestergade which is not far from Tivoli, but is confusingly quite a distance from “old” Vestergade!) is worth a morning if you’re interested in early European history. In typical Scandinavian fashion, it’s laid out chronologically - you start in pre-history at the first hall on the ground floor, and end in modern times at the top. There’s too much for one trip, but the section up to 1000 AD is fascinating. The Design Museum isn’t bad either, but if you only have one “culture” thing, do the National Museum.

For shopping, the Illums Bolighus on Amagertorv is an Aladdin’s Cave of designer furniture and homewares. Actually buying anything here requires very deep pockets, but if you’ve ever shopped in Scandium on Marylebone High Street in London, you’ll find it almost economically priced.

Malmö is worth a day-trip and a walk around. Sadly, the train goes on the lower deck of the Øresund bridge, so you don’t get the spectacular view that car-drivers get; but then again, they have to pay £50 to enjoy it…

Everyone speaks English: the Danes expect nobody outside of Scandinavia to be able to speak their language, which they regard as impenetrable to foreigners (As a Danish colleague once said: “How do you learn Danish? Become fluent in Swedish, then stick a very hot potato in your mouth”). That said, a well-placed “tak” (thank-you, and also “please”) goes a long way.

Reactions: PsB

advertisement

Back