advertisement

Contents insurance - How do you value your Hifi?

Another vote for NFU Mutual. I used to use Hiscox as they had an unlimited amount for contents including things like hifi, but I started to feel uncomfortable with some of their exclusions elsewhere.
The NFU guy came in and we had a long chat over a cup of tea, and came up with a bespoke policy for house and contents, without any onerous restrictions such as keeping watches in the bank, at a reasonable price. Also automatically covered two electric bikes at no extra cost.
BTW, having an alarm doesn't necessarily lower premiums. I had one fitted at my last house, and when I told Hiscox, they said thanks for letting them know, and it became a condition on the policy to use it every time we left the house. When I asked for a discount, no cigar. Go figure.

Another vote for NFU Mutual. I used to use Hiscox as they had an unlimited amount for contents including things like hifi, but I started to feel uncomfortable with some of their exclusions elsewhere.
The NFU guy came in and we had a long chat over a cup of tea, and came up with a bespoke policy for house and contents, without any onerous restrictions such as keeping watches in the bank, at a reasonable price. Also automatically covered two electric bikes at no extra cost.
BTW, having an alarm doesn't necessarily lower premiums. I had one fitted at my last house, and when I told Hiscox, they said thanks for letting them know, and it became a condition on the policy to use it every time we left the house. When I asked for a discount, no cigar. Go figure.

NFU sounds good
What sort of premium for what sort of cover please ?
PM if you prefer not to post openly

I changed from Hiscox to Saga (being a gentleman of a certain vintage now) last year. The premium was half that of Hiscox and the cover was mainly equivalent and in certain categories, better.

I have just had my renewal and the cost has hardly moved.

Euan.

NFU sounds good
What sort of premium for what sort of cover please ?
PM if you prefer not to post openly
Happy to dig it out for you, but it is a bespoke policy, so probably doesn't have any relevance to your situation, because it's - er - bespoke. It was slightly more expensive than Hiscox ISTR but at least I know I have proper cover now.

Happy to dig it out for you, but it is a bespoke policy, so probably doesn't have any relevance to your situation, because it's - er - bespoke. It was slightly more expensive than Hiscox ISTR but at least I know I have proper cover now.
Thanks
I'm top end of £500 now with L&V
Hiscox quoted me something like £1500 last year (!)

Timely email from Aviva, not on comparison sites

Almost halved my premium

Recommended !

Although they ask how much my building and contents both appear to be

Unlimited

Congrats on the new home, my wife takes care of all the insurance stuff and that type of thing but when she was on the phone to the insurance company the rep asked to speak to me and asked me what it would cost to replace my hifi equipment, record collection, tools and my bike when it's in the garage, I gave the rep the figures, so that's what it is insured for, I have a photographic record of all the individual pieces of equipment including serial nos, just in case, I hope I never need it to be honest.

Yes the alarm is a bit of a Trojan horse. No premium reduction and if you forget to put it on or for example deactivate the ground floor zone overnight because you have guests staying and get burgled they can have you as it’s a stipulated requirement in your policy. Probably the same with window locks ( summer night, window open) and Neighbourhood Watch.

The Wife handed me a sheet of paper and asked me to estimate replacement value of the stereo.
I think my records are more valuable (to me) compared to the stereo. ??

anyhoo, has anyone got anymore useful comments-information about insurance and HiFi and music collection ?

Anyone got a policy just for your HiFi? or record collection?

Thanks.

I think I need to do this soon.. I'm sure I'm not alone in having esoteric (not necessarily massively valuable in itself) equipment that would be a pain in the arse to get replaced with anything but a "new for old" agreement in place. I'm hoping that a "new for old" policy would be on an "equal or better spec" basis...

Going back to the OP, post #1.

Get Buildings and Contents together…..quite important.. if you have a real disaster (flood, pestilence, Taliban, whatever - the room for argument between insurers over buildings and contents can be immense, and even if not costing you any more, will delay things considerably.

We had a roof related flood issue. One call to Hiscox and it was all sorted. The disaster management guy had some very worrying stories that ended up in the High Court between insurance companies.

Hiscox is expensive but I've found it very good to deal with over the years. I was with Saga before that, but it was a nightmare to deal with. My wife inherited her mother's jewellery, which we needed to add to our contents insurance while deciding what to do with it. Saga said we needed a safe. My wife went to the safe shop and got the details of what seemed appropriate. She phoned Saga with those details and was told it wasn't good enough. She asked what would be. The Saga rep said he/she wasn't allowed to advise. My wife good details of another one. Again, not good enough and no advice. At this point we cancelled the Saga insurance and moved to Hiscox, who were quite happy with the safe that Saga had refused.

We are with A'Plan Private moved there from Hiscox. Single items under £10k dont need to be listed. For the two items where the replacement cost was over £10k and they required a letter from the manufacturer.

They did require a very detailed household inventory - which was useful as we were (as we discovered) woefully under insured in the event of a total loss (e.g a fire)

I changed from Hiscox to Saga

I was with Saga for a few years, but had a few problems with not only their reams of paper, sometimes triplicated, but on the upper level of contents cover. If I remember, I struggled to get it above £115 K or so. I had had bespoke before (Lloys) but that was onerous and expensive.

By far the best cover I've had has been John Lewis (b & c cover) which is unlimited, covers software (ie records, CDs) and still comes in at around the £300 mark, +/-. Premiums don't seem to vary much, but I haven't had a claim with them (7+ years?) so maybe that's the reason. It's underwritten, of course, but the contract is with J.L. Think it's called 'Premier cover'.

By far the best cover I've had has been John Lewis (b & c cover) which is unlimited, covers software (ie records, CDs) and still comes in at around the £300 mark, +/-. Premiums don't seem to vary much, but I haven't had a claim with them (7+ years?) so maybe that's the reason. It's underwritten, of course, but the contract is with J.L.

I really struggled to get the feedback print out of them before I signed on the dotted line. They were very evasive when I asked questions.

I have seen "unlimited" redefined in the small print of some companies where it isn't necessarily what one might expect. Everyone with JL compliment them, so I nearly moved to them but they weren't clear in their replies to me

They were very evasive when I asked questions.

Not my experiece a few years ago, and I pored over the fine print then (but can't be arsed to do this every year, though not sure they send them unless sth has altered. My friend' with his expensive upper Naim kit is also with J.L. and he's more canny than I am.

However good Hiscox are their premiums are eye watering
From memory they quoted me £1500
Currently Aviva at £300. Building and contents

advertisement

Back