advertisement

Contact cleaners, why is nobody interested?

rockingdoc

pfm Member
I have noticed that whenever a thread is started to discuss contact cleaners, it closes after one or two replies.
Given the vast range of cleaners on the market, I would have expected so stronger views, particularly as various cleaners make as much of a difference as say “ power leads”.
Manufacturers make many claims beyond a simple solvent for oxides, so what do we think?
I have used the Kontakt range from Belgium with success ( not to be confused with Kontak, of “audiophile” endorsement). Deoxit seems to have a lot of fans, but like Lontak seems very expensive.

Deoxit here, it does exactly what it claims to do and doesn’t seem to cause any damage long-term. I use the F5 Faderlube version on pots etc, standard D5 version on anything else that needs it. Its not as cheap as some, but the can will last most folk decades and I’d not have the slightest worry about spraying it into a very valuable vintage guitar pot or whatever, whereas there is a lot of stuff I’d not take the risk with.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Deoxit here too
It is expensive...but equally...you can make a little go a very long way with a little paint brush

I have Kontakt contact cleaner because it was the only well rated option available here (Spain) without ridiculous shipping costs. I had Deoxit a long time ago but don't really notice a difference.

Off on a tangent, but if buying expensive aerosol sprays, make sure to store them upright. I just went to use a full spray can of Deoxit which was lying on its side on a shelf, and absolutely no propellant left. I guess it will need a hole poked in the can and decant into a bottle.

The best stuff ever was a product called 'Blue Stuff' made by an American company called TechSpray. Sadly killed off by environmental legislation.
Next best was CCS390 by Philips, also killed off by same legislation. Deoxit is next best and still available, a bit pricey maybe but it does go a long way, a can even with me lasts 2/3 years.
Don't use WD40 for that and Super Servisol 10 is rather poor though some people claim success with it.

O.K. how about Deoxit Gold, any point in that?

I bought all three (D5, F5 and Gold) thinking the three aerosol cans will likely last me the rest of my life (it’s expensive at about £25 a can, but you do get a lot), though I had used D5 on gold terminals before and hadn’t noticed it lifting the plating or anything. Now I have it that is the one I use for that job, though to be honest gold terminals stay really clean anyway. I use Deoxit the most on old valve bases, valve pins, guitar pots, computer connectors, dirty plugs, fuse connectors etc, so the Gold one is definitely the one to buy last as it is likely the least used. The whole point of gold plating something is that it doesn’t oxidise!

I use Kontak cleaner, but it was more effective in its earlier 2 bottle form. Liquid 1 to clean and liquid 2 to clean off the cleaner.

There seems to be little interest in the subject these days...

Last edited:
Ambersil make some decent stuff, despite earlier and better versions also being killed off by legislation.

Have some aerosols of Darathene which I liberated from work years ago- its a contact enhancer. Works as well as anything I’ve tried. Not sure ts available anymore.

I have noticed that whenever a thread is started to discuss contact cleaners, it closes after one or two replies.
Given the vast range of cleaners on the market, I would have expected so stronger views, particularly as various cleaners make as much of a difference as say “ power leads”.

There's absolutely no doubt that contact cleaners do exactly what they claim to do, so there's really not much to discuss...whereas power leads are fair game for heated discussion.

It's been a long time since I've had to DeOxit anything but I've never been completely sure if I've been using the correct product on the correct component. I used to use the D5 product on everything, from noisy volume pots, tone controls and selector switches to tarnished RCA sockets.

Last time I asked advice (many years ago on AudioKarma) I got the impression that the DeOxit Gold is very much like D5 but it leaves a protective film behind to stave off re-oxidisation. Many recommended using D5 as the initial cleaner and then following up with Gold.

IIRC, DeOxit Faderlube F5 is a more gentle product designed to be used on components containing plastic parts and carbon tracks/wipers that may be damaged by standard D5. Trouble is I never really know what the component I'm "DeOxiting" is constructed of. Is it therefore safer just to use Faderlube F5 on any component containing moving parts, and keep the D5 and Gold for static parts like RCA plugs and sockets? Or can Faderlube F5 also damage components that isn't designed to be used on?

As I understand/use them: F5 on pots, switches and faders as it contains a lubricant that replaces the one originally used in the device which can be removed by D5 or other contact cleaners, or can just erode with age. D5 for everything else, e.g. plugs, connectors, valve pins/bases etc unless you are so OCD you want to spend another £25 on a can of Gold for the gold plated stuff. My suspicion is the latter probably exists to protect Gaig from any claims D5 lifts the plate on cheap and nasty gold plugs, i.e. it is less strong.

PS I was watching a vintage receiver rebuild on XRayTonyB’s excellent YouTube channel and whilst being a Deoxit user he cautioned against using any of it on mains relays etc. His view with those is if they are worn or tarnished just replace them as cleaning them is at best a temporary fix and using something with a lubricant is very bad here.

advertisement

Back