advertisement

Consumer rights type subject

Fatmarley

"It appears my intelligence circuits have melted"
It is common knowledge amongst the gaming community that the new PlayStation 5 controllers use inferior parts. Stick drift being the worst issue. Stick drift is when the controller stick registers movement when you're not even touching it.

We have three controllers here and two are already faulty. One has stick drift, the other has a weak trigger spring.

My question is this:
I bought a replacement from Argos yesterday. Do you think it would be ok to put a faulty one in the box and take it back to Argos for a replacement? (not the same one we bought from Argos)

If it is ok, I paid click and collect. Does that mean I can demand a replacement, rather than repair, if it's taken back within a certain time frame?

The problem is, the PlayStation 5 comes with a single controller, but we bought the two PS5s and the spare controller from three different shops - ACE, AO.com, and I can't for the life of me remember, or find any emails to show where the spare controller came from. But the problem is, all the controllers look identical (obviously), so I don't have a clue where each one was bought.

I'm a bit confused. Did you buy the original (faulty) PS5 controllers from Argos? If not, then why would you expect them to honour a return?

I'm a bit confused. Did you buy the original (faulty) PS5 controllers from Argos? If not, then why would you expect them to honour a return?

That's the problem, they all look identical, so I haven't a clue where they came from.

Maybe just try and fix them myself?

But did any of them come from Argos? Again, if not, then they clearly have no obligation to help you, as simon g says.

I'm not going to advise you to break the law. That's up to you. In the past I may have bought 2 identical items, some weeks apart, and one may have broken down. Maybe I got the right receipt when I returned it, or not. I belive I did.

Q2. It is the retailer's decision, except in special cases, to decide whether to repair, refund or replace. If something has been used then it's reasonable for them to have it repaired. If you new car breaks down after 6 months you are certainly not getting a brand new one. A catastrophic failure in the first week, maybe.

Totally unfair on the dealer, it would be the equivalent of trying to return another record to me other than the one purchased. If you have an issue and don’t know where you bought it contact Sony and ask them to sort it. Either that or figure out how to fix it. The gaming community has many remarkably bright people and I bet someone will have figured out exactly what the issue actually is if it is a common one.

Send it back to Sony. I’ve returned two Xbox controllers to Microsoft now. They’ve been replaced/refunded without quibble. Besides if they’re like Xbox controllers there’ll be a serial number on the box and in the controller. The retailer will check. You won’t be the only person to have considered dishonest shenanigans.

Send it back to Sony. I’ve returned two Xbox controllers to Microsoft now. They’ve been replaced/refunded without quibble. Besides if they’re like Xbox controllers there’ll be a serial number on the box and in the controller. The retailer will check. You won’t be the only person to have considered dishonest shenanigans.

Think that's probably the most sensible thing to do.

I'll look for a custormer support page...

Totally unfair on the dealer, it would be the equivalent of trying to return another record to me other than the one purchased. If you have an issue and don’t know where you bought it contact Sony and ask them to sort it. Either that or figure out how to fix it. The gaming community has many remarkably bright people and I bet someone will have figured out exactly what the issue actually is if it is a common one.

The only reason I considered it, is because surely it would just be sent back to Sony with no loss to Argos? The PS5 has only just been released, so it's not like trying to pull a fast one with very old and abused controllers.

Even the support number given is faulty.

bAtjMLb.jpg
bAtjMLb.jpg

Found the correct number by Googling the wrong number.

........so it's not like trying to pull a fast one with very old and abused controllers.

I think that's precisely what it is. If Sony produce shit products, don't just buy more and expect someone else to pick up the bits. Or suck it up and buy a replacement, as you have done. Consider it the cost of purchase. In fact, buy five.

Erm, no, the replacement controller from Argos was ok but the ones from Ao and ACE are faulty. As both ACE and AO have faults that will need to be sent to Sony anyway flip a coin which faulty one belongs to which store and send them back.

Erm, so the replacement controller from Argos was ok but the ones from Ao and ACE are faulty, as both ACE and AO have faults that will need to be send to Sony. Flip a coin which faulty belongs to which store and send them back.

I'm trying to get through to Sony customer support right now. Surprisingly (not) the lines are very busy...

Even if I did take one back to Argos to swap for a new one, I'm sure it would very quickly develop a fault. ifixit are saying the average lifespan of the controller is about 417 hours, and I believe them. I think they really need upgraded parts fitted. Interestingly, for hifi nerds, the main part that goes wrong is made by Alps - who's volume pots are used in a lot of top notch hifi.

Surprised nobody makes aftermarket controllers for serious gamers.

From what I've seen aftermarket controllers are usually much more prone to going wrong, or just don't work as well.

The PS5 controller has got a lot of technology crammed into a little case. You get feedback through the triggers, motion control (like the wii controllers), a touch pad etc. It's much better than any other controller from the likes of Xbox or Nintendo, apart from going wrong all the time :(

advertisement

Back