advertisement

Considering a move from Genelec 8030Cs to 8331As

All I would add is that if anyone intends to use the 83XX series with the GLM software (and unless you have something more sophisticated, why wouldn't you), you should probably also budget for Genelec subs if your going to use sub(s). All reports suggest they are really easy to integrate and that it's substantially more difficult using other, more attractively priced and paper specced brands.

Most ATC owners I know listen at quite high SPLs so I would tread a little carefully. For me, the 8331 is plenty loud and dynamic enough. I also have neighbours.

PS I have ordered the GLM kit.

I'm surprised you find the 8030s lack clarity vs. the ATCs. I'd have said the reverse as regards comparison with the 100 actives, but only just. I suspect there's nothing in it, and likely constrained by other items in the chain. Volume capacity, absolutely!

Happy to share my experiences of moving to a Genelec system.

Just over 12 months ago decided to take the plunge and order 8341's without audition based on numerous reviews and forum threads, with a view to abandoning the "conventional" HiFi pathway I'd been on for the best part of 40 years.

The first two weeks were without the GLM package so just using dip switches to make adjustments for my room response. Out of the box they were very impressive. I won't repeat most of what has been said about them - what really caught me out was the clash of what was, I suppose, my expectation bias versus what I was actually hearing. Here is an all digital, near-field monitoring setup with metal and plastic transducers where aesthetically function is definitely leading form, yet its producing room-filling, warm, near-full range sound one might expect only huge wooden full-range speakers could deliver, but also with incredible clarity and detail and no obvious harshness. If I had any area of concern it was trying to contain what sounded like quite a bass bump that positioning and dip switch attenuation only partially resolved.

Then came the GLM package. Now we are really singing! Bass fully under control and imaging way up. The difference is not subtle. I'm tempted to say using any of the Genelec SAM range without the GLM system in a setting without significant acoustic treatment is pretty much missing the point of the brand. At the time I bought Genelec were offering the GRADE diagnostic report service for free, which I learned so much from. Its worth trying, the content is really impressive. Another key feature of the GLM interface is that it offers remote volume control options. I opted for the 9000A wired controller, which is a wonderfully heavy, damped version of a classic amplifier knob, and works fine using a 5m extension cable which I ran under the carpet to near my listening position. So, for an extra £350 the GLM option gives you comprehensive DSP and volume control, thus removing the need for a digital pre-amp between sources and monitors.

It was inevitable that I cracked and went for the 7360A sub, as it seemed almost certain that the challenges of fully optimising sub integration I'd experienced with previous systems would be covered by the GLM system. And I was right. It moved everything up a level again.

One year on, and I have absolutely no desire to change or upgrade or indeed to experiment further. This system is at a level where it is clear to me that by far the greatest determinant of what I experience as sound quality/musical experience is my mood, degree of focus and choice of content to match. When all are right I simply can't imagine needing anything more!

In terms of room size, listening position, etc., I'm typically 3m back and in an odd shaped room with a volume of around 50m3 and rarely listen above 85db. Under these conditions I don't feel any need for larger, more powerful units. The system never sounds like it is under strain and has more headroom than I'm likely to use. In the image below the sub is in the RH corner behind the screen.

embed

I guess I have ended up with what in old HiFi terms would be considered an absolutely epic mullet - a £150 front end (Wiim Pro) and £6.5k speakers!

Really interesting. Similarly, I occasionally look at what I would do if I had to downsize from the ATC SCM50A.

I did note that that the Genelec 8341A is a better match for peak SPL and I do want to be startled when a pianist hits a key hard [1]. The larger 8050B is needed for similar peak SPL. In reality I don't know what capability is enough, especially if in a smaller room, but I don't ever want to discover that I don't have enough dynamic range, and not approaching too closely to the limit is good for maintaining audio clarity.

The alternative, a subwoofer with something smaller with lower peak SPL capability (e.g. an 8030/8331 or an ATC pro range active), is also in my mind but I have not really looked at that yet. The simpler solution with fewer boxes seems more attractive for now.

[1] BTW the specified peak SPL from your SCM40A is the same as from my SCM50A. I have found the SCM50A to be enough for me (and possibly overkill) in a 6.6 m x 3.6 m room, also sitting 2.75 m away.
My room's only about 4 x 4.5m, and I find the SCM40As have more output than I would ever use, so there is some wiggle room to use smaller speakers with less output. I don't know how big my next room will be yet, but I don't think I've seen anything we can afford in the new location that's significantly bigger than what we have now. I already have subs, so that's useful, but because the smaller Genelecs are designed primarily for use in the nearfield, they trade bass extension for output to some degree, and they do have limiting built in, so high-passing them and adding subs may not help increase output as much as it might with a small passive speaker. If the 8030s get close to playing as loud as I'd like with subs, it'll encourage me to have a listen to the 8331 and the 8341s here.

JTC: In fairness I wasn't really comparing apples to apples, because the ATCs were using Dirac, and the Genelecs weren't, so I may simply have been hearing more of the room when listening to the Genelecs. Used at lower volumes and at closer range in our bedroom, my impression is that, as you suggest, the Genelecs may be even more revealing than the ATCs- but then I'm comparing nearfield with midfield, and in different rooms, so that's not apples to apples either! More listening to come...

Peter Keen: Great post, thank you, that's very useful indeed. Really nice looking room too! Do you use an SPDIF to AES/EBU interface from the digital output of the Wiim to the Genelecs, or just an RCA to XLR lead? Given that you're so happy with the sound, I'm assuming that having a single sub all the way over to one side causes no issues?

@Toaster Yes, the setup now is just a simple 110 ohm RCA to XLR cable from the Wiim's coax digital output to the Genelecs. Prior to settling on this I was able to compare a SPDIF to AES/EBU connection with the above solution when I had a MiniDSP Studio which offered both options. Absolutely no difference in sound quality to my ears and no dropouts using the RCA-XLR digitally. From what I had read about this approach it should be fine with a short (>3m) cable. Mine is 1.8m I think. Needless to say all the cables in my setup are circa £20 a pop Pro jobbies, so I guess I'm missing stacks by not using audiophile options:)

As regards placement of the sub, I'm following Genelecs guidelines on positioning. I simply don't notice its presence as a discrete source, and now it is mostly obscured by display screen on a tripod, often forget it is there. I'm pretty sure the crossover in at 85hz, so where it is often stated the output should be omnidirectional. As with so many things I used to obsess over, I tend to trust Genelecs guidance on placement, as they come across as knowing what they are doing! That said, the GLM software is a tweakers paradise! A major update just been released so I will be playing again soon I'm sure.

So, as I suspected, if you're going to invest in expensive SAM Genelecs, you also need to budget for the GLM kit. (Unless you have a more sophisticated and less idiot proof system already of course).

To expand a little: image placement, superb; centre image, spectacular. Within their limits the bass is all there but it's lighter and tighter, all boom and bloom is gone - good for neighbours and family not listening to my music. Essentially, they now sound like huge mini-monitors, which is all I could have hoped for.

Also, source preferences have been largely removed, which is nice. I absolutely understand Peter’s mullet.

My GLM Grade report (it’s pretty comprehensive) shows a couple of dips and peaks but a healthy combination of green and orange with no red.

The calibration makes about as much difference as the jump from 8030 to 8331 so perhaps room correction with the 8030s would be a cost-effective solution.

My GLM Grade report (it’s pretty comprehensive) shows a couple of dips and peaks but a healthy combination of green and orange with no red.

The calibration makes about as much difference as the jump from 8030 to 8331 so perhaps room correction with the 8030s would be a cost-effective solution.
Already have a degree of room correction using my A8 and the PEQ of my sub. I used REW to identify problematic frequencies and apply some PEQ to even out the bass. It's not perfect, but noticeably more even-handed in the bass. I need to re-do it sometime since I'm using the old speaker positioning which has changed a bit, plus the A8 can import a room audio signature to apply PEQ and has much greater DSP capabilities than the SVS sub, but only in the digital domain sadly (so no vinyl room correction).

Maybe I'm close to getting the optimum out of the 8030s already, who knows?

That 7382 in white does look rather nice... 🤔

I don't think my wife is going to let me replace our TV stand with one though...

advertisement

Back