advertisement

Considering a Chord Mojo

Bourneendboy

pfm Member
Thinking about pulling the trigger on a Mojo and have a couple of questions I'd appreciate the PFM comunity to help me with.

I'm currently using A dragonfly Red with my Sennheiser HD600's and really like what it does. My only gripe is that sometimes I'd like to listen at higher volumes.

Is the Mojo likely to give me more SQ with higher volumes than the DRR?

Also I have 3 potential sources to use with the Mojo - Chromecast Audio, a laptop with JRiver or an Android phone with USB Audio Player Pro. I'm currently trialing Qobuz and really like it, so could use with any of the sources I have.

I'd be interested in hearing opinions on which source is likely to offer the best results.

Thanks for any advice fellas!

Works fine with Beyer DT1770 Pro which look to have similar specs - as well as any other headphones I have tried. Lack of volume has never been a problem.

Sources either laptop/usb or DAP by coax spdif, can't say I have noticed any difference but then have not actively compared. I quite fancy getting the Poly wireless jobby if it ever gets released, but price is a bit off putting.

The Mojo can drive my HD650s to an uncomfortably high volume level.

To answer your question, yes Mojo will provide a lot more juice - doesn't it go up to 800 ohms?

I have had both Mojo and DFR at the same time. I ended up parting with the Mojo. It had the edge sound wise but marginal at most. Once I factored in convenience as both were for on the move, DRF was a no-brainer. I love it. My mobile on the move gear is an i device, CCK, DFR, Noble IEMs. A wonderful sound.

Mojo does have a lot more juice so if you need it, your headphones are better off with it. Nothing worse than low sounding albums not playing loud enough - hence I use the DFR, plus it adds more layers, detail and low end to the sound.

To front it, I would recommend Audirvana (Mac only) / Tidal HiFi. This is what I use and have no complaints whatsoever. I personally couldn't get on with Qobuz. I get Spotify Premium free with my mobile contract, and use Tidal HiFi for 13 euros a month out here in Portugal. I prefer the interface of Spotify and it sounds fine, i'd part with Tidal if it wasn't for my love of how well it integrates with Audirvana - on iOS I hate it.

I would have kept the Mojo with a view of buying Poly but I also find it too pricey. Maybe i'll cave in, time will tell.

A pal was in your position last year and, because he was buying new, he found the retailer was prepared to loan him one. You probably know that you can trial the various music services free. Unless you live in the back of beyond, surely that's the way forward.

Any opinions on the SQ compared to the Dragonfly?

Having done some reading up online, it seems many say they are very close and then there's the 'night and day' difference opinions. I think I could live with the lower volume levels if the SQ is very close.

To answer your question, yes Mojo will provide a lot more juice - doesn't it go up to 800 ohms?

I have had both Mojo and DFR at the same time. I ended up parting with the Mojo. It had the edge sound wise but marginal at most. Once I factored in convenience as both were for on the move, DRF was a no-brainer. I love it. My mobile on the move gear is an i device, CCK, DFR, Noble IEMs. A wonderful sound.

Mojo does have a lot more juice so if you need it, your headphones are better off with it. Nothing worse than low sounding albums not playing loud enough - hence I use the DFR, plus it adds more layers, detail and low end to the sound.

To front it, I would recommend Audirvana (Mac only) / Tidal HiFi. This is what I use and have no complaints whatsoever. I personally couldn't get on with Qobuz. I get Spotify Premium free with my mobile contract, and use Tidal HiFi for 13 euros a month out here in Portugal. I prefer the interface of Spotify and it sounds fine, i'd part with Tidal if it wasn't for my love of how well it integrates with Audirvana - on iOS I hate it.

I would have kept the Mojo with a view of buying Poly but I also find it too pricey. Maybe i'll cave in, time will tell.

Sounds like you thought the SQ was very similar?

I own both, the dfr for travelling and the mojo with my home headphones.

I haven't done much in the way of comparisons but I'd say with easy to drive IEMs you'd be hard pushed to hear the difference, with my AKG 812 the mojo is better, bit more dynamic and detailed but there's not much in it and the AKG are pretty revealing.

Both are really good, we are lucky that really great dacs are available at affordable prices today!

If buying new I'd try to get a demo with your headphones, Mojo's are easy to sell so second hand shouldn't come with much risk if you decide to stick with the audioquest.

advertisement

Back