advertisement

Connectivity - Phono stage to DAC

benjaminreed1

Benjamin Reed
My DAC doesn't have an analogue in. The Bel Canto 1.5.

So, to run a turntable via a phono stage like the iFi iPhono, what would be the best solution?

How does the phono stage link to the pre-amp and then to the DAC then power amp then speakers. Or would the DAC only be for a computer and CD player and the phono would go straight to pre amp and speakers?

I don't really have space for another box like a pre-amp, but may have to invest.

Welcome your thoughts.

Usually you can expect the phono stage to go straight into the preamp. The DAC is used for converting digital and sending to a preamp or in some cases direct to power amp.

I guess you are suggesting your DAC is plugged straight into your power amp?

Tell us more about what your system consists of and your aspirations and you may get a lot of help.

First though is if you can't increase box count maybe a decent integrated amp would work. Perhaps even one with a built in phono stage?

thanks. my system is Mac mini to bel canto dac to bel canto power amp to 3a veena speakers.

With my new michell gyro se on order I am struggling to find the optimum path.

The Gyro will need a phono stage and a pre-amp for volume control.

If you are planning on using a good MM cartridge then one of the Bel Canto integrated amps might work for you. If you are planning on MC then you'll need a phono stage too.

I'd suggest talking it through with a knowledgeable Bel Canto dealer - if there is such a thing? That's not meant to be a slight on any dealers, I've just not come across any Bel Canto products in person.

You can also use a phono stage with digital out, straight to the DAC, or a plain analogue stage into an ADC and on to the DAC.

This will offend those that think digital is evil, but make you own mind up!

You can also use a phono stage with digital out, straight to the DAC, or a plain analogue stage into an ADC and on to the DAC.

This will offend those that think digital is evil, but make you own mind up!

This could be a very effective solution. It won't keep the signal path as pure as possible but I guess it depends why you are putting an analogue source into your system in the first place. The usual suggestion of listen and decide definitely applies.

How about a nice passive preamp that feeds into your power amp and all the things you want to connect to the system go into that.

Your wish to not increase box count is unrealistic unless you change your amp. You have already increased box count with the tt and phono.

Sorry no easy low cost answer

You just need an A/D, look at the pro audio sector, the M2Tech Joplin, is a well considered design, it is an A/D with built in phono, with RIAA equalisation and 67 other pre RIAA curves, it is really designed for extreme high quality vinyl archival.
Keith.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/lindy_audiokonverter_analogspdif.htm

Should get the job done, and be space efficient. I am not saying it will be stunning at that price but you can at least try it without losing too much. I have also used a mini disc player which has an A-D function, mine is a Sony model but I don't know which other makes/models offer that functionality at the push of a button like mine. Plus it is limited to 44.1/16 which may not be what you want.

I'd start with a passive pre, easiest way to control things. Some like what they do, I prefer what an active pre does, but there's a journey to find something you like ;-)

SSB Adicon looks rather nice: A/D, built in RIAA for MM or MC (variable capacitance loading on the former), headphone out, line out, input level control
http://ssb-audio-shop.com/collections/adicon/products/adicon-silver

I have an AD24QS by one of the designers of the above, straight A/D and a diy job so moderate skill with soldering iron is needed but the kit is nicely put together and Uwe Beis very helpful (sorted one of my cock ups and tested the complete unit in his spare time and even paid for the return postage from Germany)
http://www.beis.de/Elektronik/ADDA24QS/ADDA24QS.html

It all depends on why you are breaking out into vinyl. Care to share more about the motivation?

It all depends on why you are breaking out into vinyl. Care to share more about the motivation?

Just fetching the popcorn. :D

When the cyclic arguments die down in ten pages or so, try mentioning the effect of changing mains cables.

Vinyl lover +1 for anyone keeping score.

advertisement

Back