advertisement

connecting older DACS with USB

I have been using an Amazon fire HD10 tablet with micro USB output connected to the coaxial input of an older Audio By Van Alstine Dac from 2008, via a Schiit EITR USB to S/PDIF converter. It works very well. However, if I try to use a newer Amazon Fire HD8 plus tablet with USB-C output via the EITR, the Audio By Van Alstine dac will not work. Any particular reason for this?

I recently inherited 2 supposedly fine but elderly DACS.
Audio Synthesis DAX-2 s/n 0025 and Pink Triangle Ordinal Dual DAC 7
I am hoping to connect it using
John Kenny JKSPDIF Ciunas M2Tech hiFace Evo USB S/PDIF Converter BNC Coaxial MK3
I recently purchased.
Any advice about this project would be greatly appreciated.
I think the Futureshop have converters for this.

I’m not really after a dac, rather the usb/spdif/coax/bnc converter as I’ve a rather splendid old dac
Maybe of interest, I have a USB to BNC converter in classifieds

Maybe of interest, I have a USB to BNC converter in classifieds

thanks, I’ll have a think as I could probably take that apart and hardwire it along with a different USB connector to the back of my dac…

I use a "Mutec MC3+ USB" for re-clocking everything to AES/EBU, including USB. It's the only thing I've used that brought PC based USB inputs up to listenable.

I do have a Musical Fidelity V-link and V-link 2 knocking about somewhere that I have used for this sort of thing in the past..

I had the V-link, upgraded to Gustard U12 into Audio Synthesis Dax Decade, always enjoyed the sound.

Took a punt on a Mutec 3+ without realising they do a version without usb, so still using the Gustard.

FWIW, had an issue with my Dax, AS (David Heaton) is still active and will service legacy units. Hopefully mines good for another 30 years.

Berkeley Audio Alpha is still a king of usb converters, may be a bit picky with the cables but worth every penny if you need such a device

Been around the block on this stuff and finally settled on the following:

The USB receiver is powered internally (big tick) so I am using my "data only" USB cable. Also using an external LPS...just because.

Has all the good stuff...high spec clocks,low noise power, lots of outputs (including dual COAX).

About as spec'ed as you can get for not stupid money.

They have a purchase link via paypal on the bottom of their page or buy from the usual places like AOSHIDA AUDIO, shenzhenaudio and hifigo

Peter

Last edited:
I recently inherited 2 supposedly fine but elderly DACS.
Audio Synthesis DAX-2 s/n 0025 and Pink Triangle Ordinal Dual DAC 7
I am hoping to connect it using
John Kenny JKSPDIF Ciunas M2Tech hiFace Evo USB S/PDIF Converter BNC Coaxial MK3
I recently purchased.
Any advice about this project would be greatly appreciated.
I would suggest you to keep the things simple and look for something that doesnt alter the sound of your dac! audiophilleo and m2tech hiface evo two(Im using one) are very good examples.Plenty of good recordings at 44-48 khz today,you can listen hirez audio if you have a streamer with digital in ,laptop -foobar app etc without any problem.

I have a Mutec MC3+USB with the all bells and whistles Coherent upgrades and power supplies (£2500) sitting around. Must get round to listing it….

I have a 15 quid one from amazon, whats going on in these expensive boxes regarding the conversion, it can literally be done in the size of a USB stick?

My understanding is that the USB to SPDIF conversion is where you go from an asynchronous digital signal to a signal at the desired timing. Therefore the quality of the clocks and the regulation of power to these clocks make a difference. I have experience with an Empirical Audio Offramp 4 which was quite a high end solution circa 10 years ago. This made a significant difference to the sound compared to cheaper solutions I tried at the time.

advertisement

Back