advertisement

Connecting a pre-amp to Arcam AVR600 - possible?

garysan

pfm Member
I'm pondering buying a Naim streaming pre-amp and as I can't afford a matching power-amp right now, someone suggested I might be able to connect said pre-amp to my AVR600 and use that as the power amp until the bag of money has been replenished sufficiently so I can step up to the NAP250.

I've looked through the manual but can't see anything categorically stating how you could do it. The AVR600 does have multi-channel inputs if that helps?

Here's a link to the manual, should anyone wish/need to look:

http://www.arcam.co.uk/ugc/tor/avr600/User Manual (English)/AVR600_MANUAL_SH222_E_5.pdf

Thanks in advance...

Short answer is yes.
You just need to take the analogue out from the streamer to a line level audio input on the AV amp.
From a quick look at the manual I'd say use any spare set in the two channel audio input section. ( The set which have 'Tape' at the top)
You' ll obviously need to select that input to route the streamer through to the power amp section of the AV amp.

I suppose that if there's a digital out on the streamer you could also take that to a digital audio input on the AV amp and compare the NAIM DAC with the onboard Arcam DAC.

PS. When you get it set up, you can experiment with volume controls. The usual advice would be to have the Arcam set to full and use the NAIM to control volume. But you would need to remember to turn it down before you switch to your AV set up to watch Terminator!!

I would use the L/R MCH inputs to feed the signal from the Naim rather than any of the other analogue inputs. See Page 10 of the manual although for some reason in the diagram the pre-amp outputs have been highlighted incorrectly as the MCH inputs. I'm not surprised you're a little confused!

MCH inputs usually tend to offer a more 'direct' connection on AV amps than the other 2ch analogue inputs ('Tape', 'CD', 'Sat' etc) .

Just checking but looking at the images of the 272N (rear) I'd be connecting from the Pre-Amp Out as opposed to the Line Out, yes?

I'm assuming line out would just be using it as a streamer and thus using the pre in the Arcam AVR???

Line-out usually happens before the volume (and also balance) control(s), so that's the more direct output in general and is the one I would typically choose if the receiving device also has a volume control. Why would you want to go through two of them when one will do?

If you already have the MCH inputs in use, use any analogue input but select direct on the front panel to defeat processing and achieve 'best stereo sound quality'.
Page E27 in the manual.
I agree with Michael J - line out from the Naim. The Arcam volume control (and trim level if you need to adjust balance) will work on the input.
Jim

Strikes me there's a lot of confusion here. 'Line out' and 'pre out' on the Arcam are not inputs.

Get a grip chaps.

Just checking but looking at the images of the 272N (rear) I'd be connecting from the Pre-Amp Out as opposed to the Line Out, yes?

I'm assuming line out would just be using it as a streamer and thus using the pre in the Arcam AVR???

The Arcam volume will be in circuit on any of your options. MCH input bypasses room correction etc., if you want the Naim not to be so processed, but is still routed through the Arcam volume control.

Either way, use the Pre-out of the Naim to by-pass its own volume - making it a simple source component as far as the Arcam, and you, are concerned.

advertisement

Back