advertisement

Concordant Excelsior - who knows about history of this pre?

You got a bargain then, with hind sight i shouldn't have sold it
Yes it was a bargain back then . I haven’t a clue how much I paid but I would guess around £400-I already had one -I wanted one for a 2nd system I built with a maplin 100w valve amp which had nearly every part upgraded. Was yours with the bigger power supply .

I'd be very interested in seeing a pic of the Mosfet implementation.

Is the regulated voltage set with a pair of resistors as a voltage divider to earth (output to centre pin) ?

I think the PSU on my Exquisite is putting out 270V, using 2 valves as regulation in a cascode. l'm now wondering if replacing these with the above Mosfet would lower the noise floor.

Was the 220uF cap on the amp board left in place after the Mosfet? I would have imagined that it would make the PSU worse when used with the reg (??)

Thinking further about the PSU:

The Croft Super Micro was a contempory and it's PSU is not a million miles away at all

http://www.cma4ch.org/chemo/image/hifi/croft-supermicro-orig.png

220uF LCR caps in place of the 225 items noted above and 2 off 6CG7 in place of a single ECL85

Would be an easy swap to try the Croft ECL85 regulator, anyone care to comment on it's merits/ limitations? Obvious other option is the Mosfet

Last edited:

advertisement

Back