advertisement

Computer audio help

Andy, you bought an A/DSM yet? :)

Nah, and unlikely to, though I think the Linn solution of putting the DAC straight on the network is the optimum way to do it. Wouldn't be satisfied with the middle of the range Akurate; can't afford the top of the range 'machined from the (completely unnecessary) solid' option. Lots of things will happen in the next few years, I'm biding my time. My system is overwhelmingly, incredibly, wonderfully good as it is.

so dbpoweramp is the ripper of choice. If I try the trial version will that link to a database to store all metadata info with the albums to make using other players in the future easier? Also Nas drive is next purchase, so only using 1TB USB drive at the moment - can and haw do I set up a file on this to copy the albums to that I can then use with a Nas (I intend to - if I can - use the hard drive from this to slot into a Nas)

I'm right in thinking that itunes will be fine for my needs now and that it's only worth buying jriver or other media player if I move to streaming direct from a dedicated pc/mac to a dac.

Logitechs touch remote app is a bit clunky compared to the sonos one I have used in another system - is there a better more fluid app to use for system control?

JRiver MC17 is ony £32.. Worth every penny IMHO, works on MAC's too, you can then use FLAC's; theres a Jriver iPad ap.

I use it via Windows7 and JRivers Gizmo app on an Andriod tablet.

Hi keith, No i haven't yet. I'm using Memory Playback via JRMC which is kinda the same thing really so didn't get over excited about JPlay prospects, it appears to do the same thing but on larger (album sized) packets?

Whats your opinions on it?

Way909789 - the trial dBpoweramp includes a trial of the online metadata providers. When you get a NAS just go into the Settings bit of LMS and point it at your NAS music directory. The best remote app for SBT I have found is iPeng. It has been a big reason why I use SBTs. J River is the best player I've found for playing straight from pcs. It does some things much better than Logitechs server and iTunes. The J Remote app works well too. But if you go with the Linn or Naim streaming solutions in the future you will have a wide range of UPnP servers and control points to choose from. And you'll have the option of running a UPnP server like Asset on your NAS and not using a pc at all. (So maybe make sure the NAS you are about to get can handle that). The Linn and Naim communities have their own preferred options - Kinsky, Asset, Songcast, Twonky, PlugPlayer .. Right now, if I were you, I would concentrate on ripping to a lossless correctly tagged format, and make sure your rips are backed up robustly. And do download trial versions of the contending programs and see which you prefer.

Hi keith, No i haven't yet. I'm using Memory Playback via JRMC which is kinda the same thing really so didn't get over excited about JPlay prospects, it appears to do the same thing but on larger (album sized) packets?

Whats your opinions on it?

Raj Hi, I 'think' I prefer it to straight JRiver ,I was rather hoping you would try it
and let me know what you think.
( Jplay creates even more options there are two 'engines' and various 'hibernate' modes,Ideal for wet afternoons)
KR Keith.

Will look into trying it Keith. Is it all controlled via the remote ap, or would i need screen access for normal playback via jplay?

Raj Hi, I can control it here via JRemote, you might need to attach a monitor /mouse to initially select parameters .
KR Keith.

Setting it up's no probs, I use RealVNC (from a laptop) to the Shuttle which is an exact window to its desktop. It's not raining here - yet, and I'm extremely busy doing absolutely nothing today :)

so this nas will do the job and if fine for the furure no matter which way I go -

http://www.dabs.com/products/zyxel-...rce=td&utm_medium=affiliates&utm_content=TB00

A quick look at reviews online refer to it being noisy and slow, but if you can put it somewhere out of hearing then it would probably be fine.

My usual recommendation is Synology - more expensive, but extremely reliable and easy to use. If you are only using it for music, you can get a single-bay one provided you make sure you keep a backup (they provide backup software with it that you can run on schedule on your PC).

so this nas will do the job and if fine for the furure no matter which way I go -

http://www.dabs.com/products/zyxel-...rce=td&utm_medium=affiliates&utm_content=TB00

Almost certainly not! Nothing is future proof, or can be guaranteed to work with whatever unspecified way you might choose to go in the future, and certainly nothing that cheap. But for £45 you won't feel so bad about junking it down the line. Check with the Linn and/or Naim forums to see what NASs and UPnP servers their communities like currently - but expect for their favoured options to be a lot more money.

Next question, if I rip to a usb hard drive can I then use this in a nas drive, what I mean is that the nas won't need to reformat the drive or anything resulting in me losing the ripped music

I think you'll loose the data on it.. so buy another for raid. Install that one, then copy the music onto it and insert the one you have as the mirror drive.

advertisement

Back