advertisement

Computer as roon core- ROCK or Audiolinux?

Thanks Chris, very helpful

From within Roon, you can schedule backups of the Roon database to either Dropbox or and external USB or network drive. The internal drive has a samba share and you can back this up from another PC or MAC.

Is that Roon database backup is just a database/index file? or your music files too?

Maybe slotting a NUC directly into where my MacbookPro was (directly connected to my DAC) isn't the best solution. I'm thinking:

• NUC w/ROCK connected to my router via ethernet
• Current iTunes library is on an external drive. Connect this directly to the NUC and point Roon to it?
• Buy an endpoint like a Raspberry Pi or a Bluesound Node to hook up directly to my DAC

If this doesn't make sense, please feel free to let me know. I'd appreciate it

I'm planning on using a barebones Intel NUC i7 computer with an SSD to serve as a Roon server. I predominantly stream via tidal but have a collection of about 500 digital albums on a separate hard drive. I have already got a Roon lifetime membership. I'm considering using the Roon OS (Roon optimised computer kit-ROCK) but have heard that Audiolinux may have an edge in terms of sound quality. I was wondering if anyone has any experience in comparing both? I have no experience with Linux but comfortable with general Mac computer use and was also wondering if it is a tricky software to manage. Many thanks.

Hi Koobre,

I found that Audiolinux definitely made a positive difference over the generic and stripped down Linux versions I tried.

There are a couple if loooong threads over on Audiophile Style, I HATE that name! They are very good value.

There are NUCs they recommend to use, along with an Akasa case in due course.

The Upside:
You can end up with an excellent stream endpoint for a very nice price.

The downside:
IME it is VERY transparent. Everything makes a difference. You end up chasing grounding and quality power, including LT3045s and LPSUs. OCD levels of attention.

It was an interesting journey, and one that I found very interesting. Having got it all working I decided to buy a Linn Klimax Renew DS/1 and just get back to listening to music. The Renew isn't better or worse, but it is one neat package, rather than 3 shelves worth of boxes!

There is no need for any audiophile Linux, just use ROCK, they have optimised the linux distro for Roon already.

advertisement

Back